General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Blue smoke from old valve stem seals - Any additives/oil advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Default Blue smoke from old valve stem seals - Any additives/oil advice

I just got my first Camry. A 1999 3.0 V6 in purple [it's sooo not purple, and sooo lilac!] - Yay!

So I have blueish smoke coming from the exhaust at start up that lasts for about 10-15 seconds.

I tested for condensation [it's not wet to touch], and have check the filler cap and dip-stick - both clean and the oil is very clear. I figure this means the head gasket is ok.

That [I think] means the issue is probably coming from the valve stem seals hardening and allowing a small drop or 3 through into the cylinders.

My question is, firstly, am I missing something obvious? ; and secondly what do you guys recommend using to prolong the life of the seals - Oils or additives for example?

The Camry has 97000 miles on the clock and cost £1200. I don't have the money to get the valves replaced as I assume that would be very expensive - any ideas on how much that would cost [in the UK]?

Old 08-21-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by tricky.bob
The Camry has 97000 miles on the clock and cost £1200. [in the UK]?
sounds like you should get your money's worth out of it. congrats.

in various vehicles I've tried many oil additives and think I've given up on them having any effect.
[except STP if a clod wants to stop oil burning past the rings so he can sell it as a perfect engine.
Recall hearing that this STP is not good for engines long term, but don't really know myself.]

Have also tried different oil viscosities to reduce oil smoke / consumption or increase oil pressure: basically doesn't work.
When the engine's worn, oil can't undo the wear symptoms in my experience.

It's not your question, but I'd be tempted to just drive it and check the oil level every other week. Bet it'll work out most cost effectively.
[Also, your auto parts store can get you replacement spark plugs that run one (or two) steps hotter than stock.
Same price as stock, usually. This should help with reducing oil fouling over the long term.]

OK, OK - so someone else answer his question!

Old 08-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Typically smoke from worn valve seals is white and worse when the car sits overnight.

Toyota valve stem seals do tend to harden with age and leak. Make sure it is not smoke from worn piston rings or glazed cylinders. Have someone follow you as you drive and gun the engine to check for the blue smoke out the tail pipe.

If you suspect a head gasket issue monitor the coolant level in the overflow tank. If it needs topping off, assuming no other coolant leaks, there could be a head gasket issue.

It is possible to replace the seals with the heads still on the car but this takes a LOT of labor time. If you have the time the cost would be the seals plus perhaps valve cover gaskets. Having a shop do the job would be very expensive due to labor charges.

The typically method is to remove the heads which will also be very expensive.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Typically smoke from worn valve seals is white...
toyomoho knows more than I do.

My data set:
oil burning = blue smoke [worn engine, no real cheap remedy, just use it]
rad coolant burning = white smoke [needs attention pretty soon]
gas burning = black smoke (too fuel rich by far, basically soot), a tune up type issue

Tricky.bob; mine puts out some seconds of blue smoke on start-up,
but I'm not going to do anything to it.

Old 01-19-2024, 11:31 PM

STP high mileage oil additive with each oil change and ignore the issue oil is cheap