General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

4cyl engine vibrations

Old 04-23-2008, 04:41 AM
Default 4cyl engine vibrations

Hi there, I am an owner of a 97 4cyl Camry with only 30miles on the odometer and I've been having problems with my engine. At almost 2 thousand rpm I feel a strange engine vibration,as if I'm driving a diesel car. this thing started to happen when I changed my timing belt,tensioner and water pump. Seals were also replaced because oil was leaking. After the said job,my engine started to run rough only at about 2thou rpm. My mechanic told me that it could be my crank sensor because it was soaked in oil,therefore was faulty. But why did I only feel the strange vibrations now? Oh,had my timing belt replacedbecause my tensioner was already noisy.
Please help.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:05 AM
Default RE: 4cyl engine vibrations

ORIGINAL: carlsson
97 4cyl Camry with only 30miles on the odometer
I'm not sure that's what you meant. Anyway, I don't think it's your crank sensor as if that was bad the car would not run. The first thing I would check is the postion of the timing marks since this just started after your TB change. I would also check your plugs and wires to make sure this is not the engine just missing at 2k rpm.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:21 AM

Hi Pedro, I meant 30thousand miles...
Anyway,the mechanic changed the spark plugs and it did improve a little but vibration is still there. Will the engine vibrate at a designated rpm only if the timing marks are misaligned? I'll have my mechanic check the timing marks as soon as possible. Thanks.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Other then at 2K RPM how does the engine run, does it start normally or worse after the belt change.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:44 AM

Hi toyomoho,the car idlesslightly rough before the belt change but hardly noticeable....you can onlynotice it in the tachometer.The engine revs smoothly all the wayexceptwhen it's about to reach 2thou rpm,it starts to vibrate.At about 2.5thou rpm the vibration lessens. My mechanic checkedall engine mounts and the timing marks,all checked good. Theythink thatit's theflexible connector hose for the exhaust,they lifted up thecar and revved it and it seems to bevibrating too much. Will have it replaced tomorrow and will inform you guys...Thanks again.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

mmm so few miles on that car.
hopefully you'll get it fixed. it's kind of hard to say whats wrong with a car that has barely gone anywhere in the past decade. but most parts get dried up, hardned and cracked just from not being used enough....which is pretty sad.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:43 AM

Hi guys, its turns out that the flexible connector for the exhaust system is the culprit. Had it replaced today and my camry now drives like new again. Can't imagine how a small piece of metal that looks like a woven aluminum tube can affect a car so much. Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:43 PM

ORIGINAL: carlsson

Hi guys, its turns out that the flexible connector for the exhaust system is the culprit. Had it replaced today and my camry now drives like new again.
Thanks for following up with the solution.