General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camry lags / hesitates when on off gas at higher speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Default Camry lags / hesitates when on off gas at higher speed

Hello, I have a 1995 Camry V6 Auto 1750,000 Miles

Problem: When I let off the gas pedal and coast at any speed over 40mph and then go to give it more gas the car will either hesitate or jolt quite a bit before enaging or speeding up.

Car shifts great through all gears, just when I let off and re apply gas it jolts. I took it to the shop to have them look at the mounts and they said all is good? But they admit that it jolts, and they can't explain it, they were frustrated??

Here's the story, this may help someone here understand what could have caused the problem, cuase the problem started right after I did this:
Backed out of my drive way with the emergency brake on,(like a dumbass) then accelerated forward with it still engaged, then a block down the road I dis enaged it and ever since I have had this issue of jolting. I would assume at the same time they looked at the mounts while on the lift they would have looked at the rear , bushings, struts? I'm also thinking it could be something interior with the parking brake, but it seems to be working fine, no noises. Hopefully someone here can help. Iv'e taken the car to three shops and 2 told me the same thing and the other without looking at it told me that they transmissions get worn out and that a bit of hesitation is normal?

Question: By leaving my parking brake on and going back and forth before noticeing what part or parts would have been damaged to give me the effect of hesitation when re aplying the gas at speed?

Old 03-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Have you tried experimenting a little?

Driving with the trans overdrive system off? Leaving the trans in a lower gear and going over 40 mph (if possible). Slowly adding power?

What color is the trans fluid, red, brown, black. How does the trans up and down shift, smooth, jerk, hard, etc. Any clunk when going from park to R or D?

Have someone rev the engine while you watch it. Determine how much it moves, this will give you an indication of the condition of the motor mounts.

The parking brake consists of brake shoes inside a combo disk/drum on the rear brakes. Typically the only damage in leaving the brake on is worn shoes.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:47 PM

Yes we looked at the engine while reving and determined the fluid was good also. The guys at tghe shop said the trannsmission was good, as well as the motor mounts. I even went back and doubvle checked, that's whats so freakin weird with this situation. Thanks for your input