General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 camry v6, do i need a new PS pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Default 95 camry v6, do i need a new PS pump?

So, im pretty sure i need a new pump, but id like to get some second opinions before i drop 150 for something that didnt need to be replaced.

so, the back story is i bought this car last year for $200, but it was sitting for a few years, and ive had to fix a lot of things as a result. basically, what happens is when i turn my wheels, its seems like when it gets to the point the PS would kick in, the pump squeals really bad, but still moves the tires, although its kinda jittery and needs a little more force than usual. when i got it last year, it squealed when it was cold because i put it on the road in the winter, spring came and it quieted down for the summer, didnt make a noise except on very rare occasions. now that fall is here the squeal is back and in full force. the fluids are topped, and i havent filled them since i got the car. but the pump looks like its been leaking oil. the hoses going to the pump also jump when it starts to squeal.

so my theory is, the pump is worn out, since the fluids havent moved, and ive replaced the belt since its started making the noise. does this sound like replacing the pump will solve it? thanks for any feedback. oh, and if you have replaced one before, if you know of a good video and/or written instructions on doing it, that would be very much appreciated.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

What color is the fluid, if dark or black remove and refill fluid from reservoir between engine starts until clear again.

Make the screen at the bottom of the reservoir is clear.

The system could have air in it. Raise the front tires off the ground and rotate steering wheel from stop to stop a number of times engine off to bleed off air, try the same with engine on.

If pump seal leaking check for drive shaft lateral play. New seals are available.