Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   check hybrid system error (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/check-hybrid-system-error-52337/)

Dan1980 06-17-2018 10:59 AM

check hybrid system error

2009 hybrid, 145,000 km. Two days ago the "check hybrid system" light came on for about an hour. Continued to drive car. Next day, the error message was not on anymore and I continued to drive the car. I called the service dept. at a dealership and was told if the error message is not currently on, they can't diagnose the issue. Comments? Can I keep driving the car?

toyomoho 06-17-2018 04:39 PM

The car is OK to drive. It is best to stop driving or drive to a dealer or repair shop if the check light is on AND blinking.

The cars computer continually runs self tests on the cars systems. Typically if a system fails a test MORE then once, the check light will come on.

The problem could be intermediate and with this the system was able to pass additional tests. If the problem is chronic, the light will come back on.

The computer will also record pending codes. These being codes related to a system not passing the first test check. If then additional check fail, the light will come on.

Dan1980 06-18-2018 11:45 AM

Thank you so much, toyomoho. So do you think it is possible that this was a false alarm and we may not end up having to change the hybrid battery? Or do you think this is probably the Beginning Of The End and we will end up having to change it in the fairly near future?
p.s. There seem to be hardly any threads on this topic, I don't understand why.

toyomoho 06-19-2018 10:53 AM

The "Check Hybrid System" warning can mean something small or large ($$$).

Typically a failing battery gives some warning such as an increasing number of engine start cycles and reduced MPG. The internet has lots of posts on the signs of hybrid battery failure.

The car cannot be driven with a fully failed battery. Dealer battery replacement can cost upwards of $4000 (US). This repair cost may be more then the car is worth.

The dealer only installs new batteries. There are much cheaper rebuild/repaired battery options if one can find someone to install it (a pretty straight forward process).

The batteries are built having a number of cells bolted together then these linked via an electrical connector. One cell can go bad or the electrical connector between them fail. Repair these issues and the battery is again useful.

If knowing the repair options ahead of the game, one can make a more informed decision if the battery totally fails.

The battery warranty has most likely expired, however some local governments have mandated longer warranties.

There are forums for hybrid cars.

Phildo 09-16-2018 05:29 AM

"Check Hybrid System" could also be the ABS pump (eg C1256).

This is where you need to check the error codes.

I use a VCX cable, which can be bought on eBay or from AliExpress (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lowe...826653887.html)

EVIEV2010 03-13-2019 07:41 PM

ME 2, But there's more to the story.....

2009 Camry Hybrid, 200,000 miles. Whew, get your coffee, soda, or whatever...
October of 2016, after a run through an automatic car wash with the conveyor belt (touchless), husband shifted from N to D without applying brakes to my beloved Hybrid. Car immediately showed Check Hybrid Battery, VSC codes and drove like $%^&*(. Took it to dealer for DX, (replace hybrid battery) pricing, fainted, husband found service of a company to replace hybrid battery with 1 year warranty for $1500 so went that route on December 23 2016. Battery replaced, no problems until October, 2017. Same symptom, no car wash though. Company honored warranty and did a replacement with a new 1 year warranty. Car was good. Had failed oil consumption test earlier and dealer still said "need to replace hybrid battery." January, 2017, dealer notified me that the parts were in for engine rebuild on oil consumption test. Delivered vehicle to dealer with NO WARNINGS, LIGHTS, OR PROBLEMS. February 28th, get a call that car was ready, but needed: 1) hybrid battery replacement; 2) tune-up; 3) tires; and 4) engine compartment filter. I authorized #s 2 and 4. Informed them that I had replaced the hybrid battery and why did I need that.... I delivered it as above... When I went to pick it up, the warnings for "check hybrid battery" and "Check VSC" are back on, while the car is under their canopy..... I noted this with the service department and asked what happened. Got a shoulder shrug and that they told me I needed a new battery. When I showed them that I had done that, receipts, warranty replacement, etc., I still got shoulder shrug. I basically parked the car in my shop and haven't driven it, due to now the brakes don't work properly. I complained to Toyota and they gave me $1000 for a new car..... (eyeroll).

Ok, so I am tired of looking at the big paperweight in my garage, so I bought a diagnostic tool. Also got a new Start battery. Ran for codes, C1259, C1310, C1241, C1242, C1259 and C1310. Toyota says I need a new hybrid battery, although when I drove it to the dealer yesterday, it ran fine. They won't really help with the $$. $800 discount on battery, but $650 to install, soooooo. I called GreenTec this morning, gave them the codes and was ready to go with their 3 year warrantied new battery, when the technician said the codes I have are for a skid control ECU.... Makes sense that this might have been the problem initially at the car wash! Talking bout the car wash yeah....

They said the part is inexpensive but they don't sell or install them. Dealership quoted $2300 to replace, but wouldn't verify the codes. It is not showing the dreaded P0A80 code now.

How to replace, where to buy, used vs new? Help.

toyomoho 03-14-2019 11:14 PM

A few thoughts.

The original battery should last longer than 200K.

Doubt shifting from N to D without braking should not be an issue. Did this car have any body work or get water under the hood? Either leading to a bad ground wire connection which could cause electrical issues.

Dealers will only install a new Toyota battery which is expensive. Parts and installation labor often cost more than the car is worth. Here is where 3rd party battery shops come into play. Typically the issue is just one bad battery cell or a problem with a connection between battery cells. The issue is repaired and the battery cells leveled then put back into service.

Don't expect much support from Toyota if they didn't install the battery.

Did any shop run tests on cars hybrid charging system such as too high or too lower hybrid battery charging voltage?

The codes are not necessarily linked to a problem with an actual VSC system.

You listed C1259, C1310, C1241, C1242 with C1259 and C1310 be duplicates.

C1259 HV System Regenerative Malfunction

C1310 Malfunction in HV System

Issues could be hybrid control system or faulty hybrid ECU control. CHECK for faulty Hybrid ECU Control Unit. Replacement cost is expensive at dealer.

These codes can result in the ABS, VSC and check lights coming on.

Why was the start battery replaced?

C1241 Low Battery Positive Voltage

Possible issues are low battery charge, bad battery or charging system and wiring issues.

This code can cause the ABS and VSC lights to come on.

C1242 Open in IG1/IG2 Power Source Circuit.

Low voltage to VSC system or relays.

Ditto for ABS and VSC lights.

Symptoms of a failing hybrid battery.

Lower MPG as the engine is used more frequently due to bad hybrid battery charge not lasting as long.

Decreased car performance.

Battery charge indicator shows lower charge when car is not driven as battery loses charge when sitting.

Battery charge level varies widely as battery is charged up then drops rapidly due to problems.

My understanding is if the hybrid battery totally fails the car cannot be driven. Check owner's manual about this.

Did the dealer repair the engine oil consumption issue?

Have Green Tec check HV Control ECU and wiring issues.

EVIEV2010 03-15-2019 01:46 PM

Why was the start battery replaced? When connected to a charger it showed as dead.

C1241 Low Battery Positive Voltage Is this the hybrid battery or the start battery?

Possible issues are low battery charge, bad battery or charging system and wiring issues.

This code can cause the ABS and VSC lights to come on.

C1242 Open in IG1/IG2 Power Source Circuit.

Low voltage to VSC system or relays.

Ditto for ABS and VSC lights.

Symptoms of a failing hybrid battery.

Lower MPG as the engine is used more frequently due to bad hybrid battery charge not lasting as long.

Decreased car performance.

Battery charge indicator shows lower charge when car is not driven as battery loses charge when sitting.

Battery charge level varies widely as battery is charged up then drops rapidly due to problems.

My understanding is if the hybrid battery totally fails the car cannot be driven. Check owner's manual about this.

Did the dealer repair the engine oil consumption issue? Yes, as far as I know.

I picked up the car from the dealer today as they threatened to have it towed while I decided what action I was taking....... (decision made : ) On the trip back to my shop I noticed that the display for the charging or power between the wheels and the battery showed no connections..... no wheel turning.... no moving dotted lines.....

Thank you for your help. I will keep all readers posted as I work through this.... I am sure glad Mack doesn't made hybrids.... :cool:

Have Green Tec check HV Control ECU and wiring issues.

toyomoho 03-16-2019 10:34 AM

Start battery.

What does the cars multi-informational display or navigation system screen show for what power source (engine/battery/both) is connected to the wheels?

Sid Patel 12-22-2020 02:21 PM

"Check Hybrid System" msg keeps coming back....

Hello Friends,

I have also got the similar issue, my camry runs more than 200k, I received the above msg yesterday, and I park the car at shopping centre and then it didn't start, had to call RACQ and that guy reset the main battery (not the hybrid battery) by taking only one lid off, put it back and open and lock car three times, and then he started the car, THANKS TO HIM...

But While driving back home, the same message appeared Now I parked in my garage, but car is not starting. I might have to do the same thing.

But any clues, that why it does the same thing ??????

Regards,
Sid