General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

clicking after car starts

Old 03-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Default clicking after car starts

Hello everyone. First time reader and poster here. You all seem like a very knowledgeable group though

I have a preowned 2001 4 cylinder camry LE that I have had for about 4 months now. On rare occassion, after I start the car, the clock will blink (switch between bright and dim), and I will hear a clicking sound similar to the sound a turn signal would make (the sounds are not the same however). The clicking and flashing remained for several minutes. I don't notice anything wrong, no flashing lights, no trouble steering, radio works fine, etc. The last two times I remember it happening occured after an hour+ of driving, then letting the car sit for 20-30 minutes, and then restarting. At this point the clicking and flashing began. Does anyone have any ideas what this may be due to? Your help is much appreciated

Old 03-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: clicking after car starts

Is the clock making the clicking noise or from another area?

Old 03-21-2008, 09:51 PM

The clicking did not appear to be coming from the clock. Its origin seemed just like that of when the turn signal is clicking.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

The clock has three sources of electrical power. I assume the clock display brightness is controlled by the panel circuit power source. This circuit connects to the brake light relay and then to the ign switch. Looks like this relay is the only source of possible noise with an effect on clock brightness.

Have you noticed any correlation between using the brakes and clock brightness? Might be a loose wire (green wire). The taillight relay is located drivers side of dash, typically behind an ashtray. If the noise is coming from this area this could be the problem. There are two panels in this area, one for fuses and the other for relays.