General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ABS/BRAKE Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Default ABS/BRAKE Lights

I have a 2007 Camry and this morning I drove to a local restaurant for breakfast and when I came back out and started the car. The BRAKE and ABS lights were on, no heat and I couldn't take the car out of park. After about 10 minutes of trying find someplace open on a Sunday, I went back out and tried starting one last time and it started, the heat came on and I was able to get the vehicle home. My question is, is this a precursor to a serious issue or one of those fluke things. It has never happened before.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: ABS/BRAKE Lights

No heat as in no heater blower motor?

Given all the problems appears to be an electrical issue.

The shifter lockout system has an electrical solenoid lock that works off the brake light switch. If you are ever stuck again there is a shifter lockout bypass.

Look on the shifter console for a small tab/cover that pulls out, this may be up forward of the shifter console. Remove the tab and insert something small enough to fit the hole and push down on a plastic tab. When doing this press the side shifter button and pull the lever out of park. If you put the shifter back into Park you will need to do this again.

But back to your problem. All these items have mulipule sources of electrical power but all have the ECU-IG fuse in common. This power either comes through the ign switch or turning on the switch powers a relay. Suspect either the ign switch or a relay has a problem.

If this happens again try to restart the car to cycle the relays. If it continues a mechanic with a wiring diagram should be able to narrow down the problem area.

PS: Were the outside air temps very cold?

Old 01-25-2009, 01:25 PM

yes the blowers were not working at all, then when the ABS and BRAKE lights went off, the blowers kicked in and I was able to put the car in drive

Old 01-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

yes, this appears to a problem with the electrical power getting to all these systems. A relay is sticking or the ign switch has a problem.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:29 PM

thank you for your assistance, very appreciated