General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Desperately seeking guru!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Default Desperately seeking guru!!!

Please, please, help. My niece's 02 camry LE (2AZ-FE) exhaust cam seized. Towed to my house. I found 1 1/2 quart low oil. I replaced complete head assembly, crank position sensor, oil control valve, timing components, and other "on the safe side" items. Everything together, now won't start. I checked fuel injectors, fuel delivery, fuel pressure, spark, timing, etc. A friend (mechanic) confirmed my work. I borrowed a snap-on labscope, one odd reading.......while trying to start car, injector pulse was 32ms (my 03 camry, coils disconected, injector pulse around 8ms), (maybe flooding spark?) So, thinking IN THEORY, I disabled fuel pump, tried to start on ether...still no-start. So, I swaped intake air sensors (MAF, Vac valve, etc.) to my 03 to "test" them, my car started flawlessly, I tested ECT in same manner with same results. I don't know what else to do. Please, please, help, I don't know what else to do.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

The exhaust camshaft seized? What happened after this to the engine? The cams are chain drive, was anything else damaged when the cam? seized up.

The 03 engine runs OK with the 02 parts? Have you checked the electric throttle and TPS for function? Don't try to remove the TPS as it is rotated for adjustment then tightened down. If your scope reads throttle plate position compare one car against the other.

Injector pulse will vary with computer mode such as cold start, hot, etc.

Many times with mechanical repairs such a blown head gasket, etc. When an engine ran before repairs or quit because of a mechanical issue requiring engine disassembly there can be a bad electrical connection, cam/crank timing off, hose disconnected, do to an error during reassembly.

In this case being mechanical damage electrical why would the pulse width change, problems with MAF, etc.

If looking for more help post at the Toyotanation site in the appropriate Camry year forum. More members, more help.