General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Differences in XV40 ('06-'11) and XV50('11-present)???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:00 AM
Question Differences in XV40 ('06-'11) and XV50('11-present)???

Well, it seems as though insurance will declare our '09 XLE a total loss ofter the recent hail storm. So........... I may well be shopping for another good Camry.

I notice the change in 'models' between '11 and '12.
Could someone here give me a run down on the major changes, and any GOTCHAS in the first year of the newer model?

opinions/advice, etc. are appreciated.
Tommy

Old 04-29-2015, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

The XV-50 had major cabin interior changes to increase cabin size. The outside received a major body panel face lift. Otherwise the car is pretty much like the 2009 XV-40.

The 2012 had issues with the A/C evaporator not draining water. There was a recall for possible water getting into the airbag system. The more pervasive issue was the water may not drain properly causing mold and the cabin to have a terrible smell making the car almost unusable. There is a class action lawsuit over this as Toyota seems unable or unwilling to address this issue.

Some complaints about sunroof area noise, transmission shudder (extended warranty issued).

You can review likes, dislikes and problems from members at Toyotanation in the 7th Generation Camry section.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:14 PM

OK, thank you for that info. I should settle matters w/ the insurance folks today or so, and will begin shopping seriously in a few days.
Good info... and yes, I'll look-see at Toyotanation.

7th gen., eh?.... amazing. I well remember how my family thought that their '87 Camry was 'really something'. I still think it was the most fun Camry I've driven to date, admittedly the newest one being the '09 XLE aka ".... the cush-mobile..."

Tommy

Old 05-22-2015, 12:57 PM

Well the '09 Camry is officially gone.
As matters stand now, we are def. keeping the '08 RAV4.
It looks like another mini-wagon will be our next vehicle. I have taken for test drives a new RAV4, a new AWD Honda CRV and a Sub. Forester. I must admit that the new RAV4s don't excite me much. They feel heavier and larger than the older gen. The Seating is also lower, or the dash and window sills are higher.
The CRV was "OK" IMO. The Forester I drove was impressive, not as responsive as my V6 RAV4 Sport, but better than the other 2 vehicles.

Tommy

Old 05-23-2015, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

The Honda may be more of a family SUV, the Sub a sporty family SUV, the RAV4 is now stuck with the 4-cylinder limiting HP.

People I know who have a Sub Forester like them. The car seems to have replaced Volvo's in this area, which means they are everywhere.

If looking for feedback beyond the sales pitch, might find Honda and a Sub sites such as this one is for Camry. Then read posts on owners experiences over time.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The Honda may be more of a family SUV, the Sub a sporty family SUV, the RAV4 is now stuck with the 4-cylinder limiting HP.

People I know who have a Sub Forester like them. The car seems to have replaced Volvo's in this area, which means they are everywhere.
Agree on all counts. Sub has an almost cult following, but as I noted before, the vehicle I drove was nice, and well thought out.

Originally Posted by toyomoho
If looking for feedback beyond the sales pitch, might find Honda and a Sub sites such as this one is for Camry. Then read posts on owners experiences over time.
Agreed... reading a Sub. Forester forum now, some. They have had their issues, e.g. oil rings not seating and leading to excessive oil consumption... i.e. needing a short block, etc., but they seem to have that resolved.
Tommy

Old 05-24-2015, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Concur on the Sub cult following, but they are still nice cars.