General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel pumps keep failing

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 11:35 AM
Default fuel pumps keep failing

i have a 4th generatiion camry with a 2.2L 5SFE engine. i have went through 2 fuel pumps within 2 months. the first fuel pump failed so i replace the fuel pump with a nippon denso, and got rid of all the gas that was in the tank. the second fuel pump failed a month later. i removed the fuel pump and fuel pump assembly. went to toyota and order the complete fuel pump assembly. i had to order the parts seperatly then put the fuel pump housing together. then i went and got another nippon denso fuel pump to install. i also replace the fuel filter that under the hood on the driver side. about 3 weeks later the new fuel pump died again. im scratching my head because all the components that sit in the tank under the back seat is new, and i replaced the fuel filter with a new wix filter. i also replace the gas with new gas. so why is my fuel pumps keep failing. have any of you guys heard of this problem. and any suggestions as to what might be causing my fuel pump to keep failing? im stumped. ready to trade this car in. and the car was a perfect car till this happened. im the original owner. brought the car back in 1998 brand new i florida. so i know the history. the car has 138,000 miles on it. any information or suggestions as to what to check or change is much appreaited. ill start throwing parts at the car if i have to.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Any possible linkage between the first pump failure and tanking up such as bad fuel? Water and debris in fuel can cause issues.

What kind of debris was present on the socks. Any rust in the tank?

Toyota OEM would be a Denso brand pump.

On the failed pumps, could you note why they failed? Burned or worn commutator, failed internal motor wiring of commutator, bearing seized, overheating, etc.

All fuel moves through the pump on its way to the engine. The pump is cooled by the fuel like air would pass through a normal motor to cool it.

Did all pumps have the pressure regulator and anti-drain back valves installed and working? A stuck closed regulator would put more load on the pump.

What condition was the old sock such as filled with debris?

How is the fuel pump system wiring, harness plug connection and chassis wire ground connection (White/Black wire grounds to chassis).

A poor connection or bad ground can cause under voltage condition or voltage drop. Check for line voltage at blue/black wire, engine running.

Did you clean the tank out of any debris?

All fuel going to engine, first goes through the pump. Passing through the bearings, by the armature, brushes, commutator, etc.

Any debris in the tank making it through the sock filter will go through the motor.

Since the pump is cooled by fuel. Low fuel level can cause the pump to overheat.

Pumps do fail but not this quickly. Denso and dealer pump is good quality.

There is something else going on beside the pump.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:45 PM

One thing is the fourth generation is 1997-2001 and at these ages eventhought these are great cars there is wear and tear on wires, parts especially in the Midwest. I do not have the technical expertise like toyomoho but look for those items he suggests. I have repaired the wiring on three of my doors, replaced all key locks including ignition due to wear, window motors and my gas drain tube just rotted out. All went slowly not at one time. I just noticed my rear brake line is rusted and needs replacement but can wait until spring and smart Toyota did not bury it near the gas tank. Good luck.