Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   Gen 4 manual transmission shifter cables (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/gen-4-manual-transmission-shifter-cables-52508/)

Thorsson 09-12-2018 10:27 PM

Gen 4 manual transmission shifter cables

2001 Camry CE, 5SFE, manual trans S51

One of the shifter cables (the select cable) broke somewhere inside the housing tube and I need to replace the cable set. These 5 speeds are evidently rare as I cannot find a DIY anywhere. Does anyone have experience dong this job? Any tips greatly appreciated!

toyomoho 09-13-2018 11:32 AM

There should be info on the 5 speed for this car. But first find out if the cable is broken as parts can be hard to find.

Ebay lists a set of used cables, see link below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-97-98-9...sAAOSweWVXfZXm

ATP might might a generic cable that fits.

Can try the dealer but assume its no longer available.

Thorsson 09-13-2018 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 99127)
There should be info on the 5 speed for this car. But first find out if the cable is broken as parts can be hard to find.

Ebay lists a set of used cables, see link below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-97-98-9...sAAOSweWVXfZXm

ATP might might a generic cable that fits.

Can try the dealer but assume its no longer available.

The select cable must be severed somewhere inside the cable sheath, because it "pushes" but won't "pull", so I can drive in 1st through 4th gears but can't get into 5th or reverse. Verified by watching the select lever movement while manipulating the shifter. I've been putting it in reverse when necessary by popping the hood and moving the trans select and shift levers into place by hand. Thank you for the ebay link, and I'll look into ATP. I did find the cables listed as available on several dealership sites ($186 cheapest, yikes), but am waiting to hear from them to make sure of the part fitment for my VIN.

Web info on the Gen 4 manual transmission shift linkage is really pretty sparse. I got some tips over at Toyota Nation but as far as I can tell there are no DIYs online for this job.

toyomoho 09-13-2018 01:43 PM

Suggest expanding the search on DIY video's.

The S51 is part of a line of "S" trans, S50 to S53, used on Camry, Corolla and Celica. Would assume the basic trans is the same but different gearing. Search for Wikipedia on S51 and find the model/years the "S" was used on. Then expand the DIY search to these models/years.

The complete center console needs to be removed to access the shifter unit and shift cable ends attached to it.

Start out by removing the upper console panel that goes around the stick shift. It's held in by plastic clips built into that plastic panel.

Need to insert a flat bladed tool (taped over to prevent scratching the plastic) such as a narrow putty knife to push the clip away from the console box it attached to underneath it. There appears to be 4 clips, two on each side (passenger/driver) of the area the stick shift rod boot.

Once the upper panel is out will have access to the two front bolts holding the read console box (center glove box). There are two other bolts accessed from inside the box.

With removal of the upper panel will also have access to forward two bolts of the front console box (has heater controls). Need to pry out the cover face cover of these controls using the same method as the upper shift panel. The clips appear to be located on the sides of this covers upper rectangle area.

With this cover off, unbolt the heater control, etc to access the remaining two bolts holding the font console box on. There will be some additional items needing unplugging such as cigarette lighter electrical plug, etc.

When you get the complete center console out, the two shift cables will be accessible. They run forward through the firewall.

The passenger's side cable appears to have grommet cover plate bolted to the firewall accessed from the inside of the car. The driver's side cable having a cover plate bolted from the engine compartment side.

The cable end sheaths are attached to the trans and shifter by push clips.

The driver's side cable itself is attached by pins and cotter keys. The passenger's side is attached at the shifter by clip which pulls up and off.

With the center console out can further investigate the broken cable issue.

The automatic trans center and front console are very similar in design and removal to the stick. To understand what is needed, can search on removing the center console and display for more popular automatic equipped trans.

Thorsson 09-13-2018 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 99132)
Suggest expanding the search on DIY video's.

Will do! Thank you for your description, and for all of that info. I appreciate you taking the time. Will update this thread with results and if I do the job myself, will make a DIY for the future.