General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

good day all..........

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Lightbulb good day all..........

Have a 93 Camry with some electrical issues.
First, the light on the auto transmission indicator on the dash in "D" is not on in drive.
Second, the O/D light is not on when in overdrive.
Third, on occassion, the car electric door locks will buck on and off or vise versa. Not sure which way my wife described it.
I don't know if the cruise control works or not.
Wife's car and I don't use the cruise option.
Should have maybe checked it before I posted here.
Some of these issues may overlap, maybe a transmission modual and where would I find it?
Plan on hooking up the red brick today (MT2500 scanner) and see if I can figure anything out.
Some help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Has anyone had this bug before?
Thanks one and all for your interest.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Appears to be a wiring problem.

There is a electrical selector switch in back of the shift lever on the transmission. This determines what shift gear lights are illuminated. As the lever is moved in response to the gear selector the switch connects DC power to the proper light on the dash.

The O/D light is connected to the switch, it should power if the switch is On.

The issue with the locks could be frayed wiring between the drivers door and chassis or a bad door switch.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:23 PM

Thanks Joey P.
Did some more checking and found the courtesy light when you leave the vehicle no longer works but if the interior light is switched to on, it works. Took the light off the roof and checked continuity to both sides of the switch and it has proper function. Have power to the plug as well. Driver's door switch/button has power there and proper continuity as well. Also found the cruise control doesn't work either nor the c/c light on the dash. Cigarette lighter not working. MT2500 Scanner didn't come up with any codes either. Checked fuses as labeled and found all to be good??? Is there a transmission modual, dash modual or relay (s) that I'm missing?
Combination of problems? Transmission functions normally, shifts are constant. Battery terminals have been cleaned. Help....wife wants to sell it and I like the car.
Just rolled two hundred kilometers and that's hardly an effort for these long running jewels. It is a four cylinder as well.
Thanks again.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

See Private Message.