General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with a 2001 camry

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Default Help with a 2001 camry

Hi, I'm new to this site. Found the board by doing a search for what could be happening with my car and found my way here. I appreciate any help that can be given.

I went to leave today and the car wouldn't start. I really not sure how to describe it so will do my best. It sounded like it was wanting to turn over but then would just stop. It did this a few times before finally starting. So, I sat for a couple minutes and before driving. When I put the car in reverse, it only went a couple feet before just shutting off completely. And right before it shut off the front end was like vibrating/shaking. I tried again to crank it and it acted like it wanted to start but then just wouldn't. Finally, it did start, and I was able to back up with no problems and also pulled forward with no problems. Shut it off again, waited a couple minutes and then tried cranking. It cranked right up with no issue and still backed up and pulled forward a little with no issue. Could this be a fluke or could it be the sign of something bigger? Thanks again for any help.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

What engine type, V6 or 4 cylinder?

How was the engine RPM? Depending on the engine model it is typically something between 600 and 850 RPM. If too low, the engine will vibrate a lot.

Did this happen when the engine warm or cold. Where the air temps colder then normal, thus a colder engine then normal when started.

What happened when you applied throttle?

Old 01-03-2011, 06:46 AM

It is a 4 cylinder. The RPM were not too high or too low that I remember...same as it normally is, though not sure of the number it was at. I had not driven the car since Friday night. My kids and I got in from a trip friday around 8 pm and that was the last time I drove it until I went to go out yesterday. The air temps yesterday here in NC were like high 50's/low 60's and a little more humid. When I applied the gas while it was cranking, nothing happened. I didn't press gas too much as I didn't know if that would flood it. Now, when I tried to back out and press gas as it was in reverse, then the car just shut off.

Now, after all this, it cranked up fine with no issues and backed up and moved forward fine. I was hesitant to go anywhere since I didn't want to get stranded. A friend of the family came over and drove it around for a good 10 minutes and nothing happened at all. He was thinking it could have had moisture in it? I have no clue as I'm not car smart at all!

Old 01-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Can't state for sure.

Hard starting can be caused by a number of issues. Low fuel pressure, fuel pressure bleeds down when engine is off, Intake Air Valve (IAC) sticking (controls idle speed), failing engine coolant sensor for the engine computer.

Giving the engine gas when starting can flood it. Just asking if this worked as a work around for a problem part.

If this happens again, when the engine is running try applying gas to get the RPM up to help move the car. Depending on what happens can point to this part or that.

Determine if the problem happens only at cold engine start, hot, both.

Doubt if the car will leave you stranded, but best to attempt to clue in on the circumstances where the event happens to present this info to a competent repair shop.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:57 AM

Thank you very much for your help. So far it has been cranking very smooth. I also took it for safety inspection and it passed. I'm not sure if they would have found anything out but the papework they gave me shows some sensors and stuff were checked out. Anyway, I appreciate all the help and will take it in if it does it again.

Carol

Old 01-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Great!