Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   Help!coolant flush?? (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/help-coolant-flush-50500/)

indiglofish61 08-22-2015 02:05 PM

Help!coolant flush??

I just flushed my coolant and installed a new thermostat, I followed the instructions on the Toyota nation forum READ FIRST page on how to flush the coolant. Then I filled with 50/50 Zerex coolant, Then I read that it was not recommended cause now I still have water in the heater core thing, and it now has more water then coolant, I am going to try to drain and refill with 50/50 again cause I cannot find 100% Zerex Asian coolant, and the Toyota dealers I cannot find around here, can anyone give me any feed back on this, my thermostat is working great however, Thanks for reading.

toyomoho 08-22-2015 05:00 PM

A coolant to water mix can vary from around 30 to 60% coolant to water. The 50/50 is deemed adequate for most climates.

For Zerex Asian coolant try WalMart, NAPA, O'Reilly. Call first and check.

The best approach is to purchase a low cost antifreeze tester which can determine the boiling and freezing points. If the freezing point is below your areas minimum temp your OK.

The Toyota dealer only sells Toyota brand coolant.

indiglofish61 08-22-2015 07:43 PM

toyomoho, i got one of them prestone testers, and when I checked the coolant in the jug and in my radiator, and reservoir, the pointer in the tester went straight up past all the temp numbers, I took it back and they said it should of been ok, I got a different one a cheaper one the only other they had, it got those little galls in it, so I am waiting for the engine to cool down before I check it. Is there any other way to check the coolant?

Patonium 08-22-2015 11:13 PM

That little meter with the balls is the best that I know of.

indiglofish61 08-22-2015 11:18 PM

I tested the coolant earlier, all the balls went up but the last ball #5 slowly rose up with the others, I guess that means I', good to go, right?

toyomoho 08-23-2015 01:39 PM

The ball tester should have an explanation of what 1 to 5 balls rising are. Four balls may be -25 freezing point.

50/50 mix is good to -40F.

If the above temps are lower then your areas lowest temps your OK.

indiglofish61 08-23-2015 06:09 PM

All five balls went up, so I guess its gonna be ok. Thanks for the feed back.

toyomoho 08-23-2015 09:23 PM

Yes, OK.

indiglofish61 08-25-2015 05:31 PM

I have a coolant? When my engine is hot the coolant in my overflow tank, g oes like an inch above the full line, and when it is cold it its right on the full, line, is this normal or should I take some out of the overflow tank?

Patonium 08-26-2015 12:52 AM

Normal.
When coolant gets hot it expands, thus raising the level on the overflow tank.
When it cools, it contracts and should be right at the line.
Sounds like you are good to go.