Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   HELP- Toyota Camry 2002 4 cyl. - Front Exhaust Pipe Repair (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/help-toyota-camry-2002-4-cyl-front-exhaust-pipe-repair-50452/)

perhowell99 07-27-2015 08:10 PM

HELP- Toyota Camry 2002 4 cyl. - Front Exhaust Pipe Repair

Hello to all - Have a question regarding my 2002 Toyota 4 cylinder Camry.

My Camry is sounding like a lawn mower lately. I took it in the Toyota dealer service today to get it checked. The tech said the following: Replace Front Exhaust Pip (Front Exhaust Pipe Burned out) Cost of $1436.05

Three months ago I had the Catalytic Converter Replaced. It seems after that repair the car started with the lawn mower sound.

Could someone please tell me or point to me to the part Toyota is talking about? I thought that the "Front Exhaust" was part of the Catalytic Converter that was replaced. Please correct me if I am wrong. If I am wrong where is it and where is it located?

""""Thank you for any help - It will be well appreciated"""""

toyomoho 07-27-2015 09:52 PM

The car may have two converters depending on what emissions standard it was built to.

Typically if the front exhaust is leaking the area is the "flex Pipe." This pipe is a section of flexible pipe. It allows the engine/front exhaust to move without effecting the rear exhaust portion.

Suggest visiting a muffler shop. If it is the flex pipe, the shop can cut out the old one and weld in a new one.

perhowell99 07-27-2015 10:43 PM

Joey, thank you for your response!! I will take it to a muffler shop tomorrow and have them take a look at the flex pipe. Sure a muffler may be able to fix it for a quarter of what Toyota charges. I will keep you posted. Thanks again!

toyomoho 07-28-2015 11:12 AM

Toyota dealers don't do cut and weld exhaust system repairs as a muffler shop would. They just replace the complete part.

perhowell99 07-29-2015 09:53 AM

Didn't get a chance to take it in yet. I will keep you posted. thx

Guitarman66 07-31-2015 10:09 PM

I used a repair pipe on my 99 Camry with good results. What you do is cut the pipe just after the flex section and before the catalytic converter, then slip the new pipe over that, then clamp it on. $60 on eBay.
The reason its so expensive at the dealer is because it includes a catalytic converter.

perhowell99 08-19-2015 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Guitarman66 (Post 90637)
I used a repair pipe on my 99 Camry with good results. What you do is cut the pipe just after the flex section and before the catalytic converter, then slip the new pipe over that, then clamp it on. $60 on eBay.
The reason its so expensive at the dealer is because it includes a catalytic converter.

"Thank you!!"

perhowell99 08-19-2015 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 90601)
The car may have two converters depending on what emissions standard it was built to.

Typically if the front exhaust is leaking the area is the "flex Pipe." This pipe is a section of flexible pipe. It allows the engine/front exhaust to move without effecting the rear exhaust portion.

Suggest visiting a muffler shop. If it is the flex pipe, the shop can cut out the old one and weld in a new one.

__________________________________________________ ______
Joey, my son took his car to a muffler shop last week as you suggested. You hit it dead on it was the flex pipe. They cut out the flex pipe and weld a new one on with a 1 year warranty for that part for about $143.00. Thanks a bunch, well appreciated:)!

perhowell99 08-19-2015 12:39 PM

Joey, my son took his car to a muffler shop last week as you suggested. You hit it dead on it was the flex pipe. They cut out the flex pipe and weld a new one on with a 1 year warranty for that part for about $143.00. Thanks a bunch, well appreciated!!!!

toyomoho 08-19-2015 07:11 PM

Great! Thanks for posting back with the fix.