Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   How to change a 92 thermostat? (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/how-change-92-thermostat-4673/)

anfurnee 11-10-2008 11:06 AM

RE: How to change a 92 thermostat?

Thank youToyomoho very much. I think I'm finally haveit done. These new cars are way over my head. I think I my have a problem though, I hope not. The man at Auto Zone told me to use a silicone gasket that you spread on the housing. I did that and after I get everything put back together I start to think about everything I did. I am now worrying that the silicone might spread a little bit out between the block and thermostat housing and into the water system.[/align]If that happens will it hurt my cooling system? I haven't put water or tried running the engine yet. Again thank you, Tony.[/align]

toyomoho 11-10-2008 04:31 PM

If you put the the seal on the tube where the O-ring is and also back toward the tube opennig of the housing (not in the direction of the T-stat) there should be no chance this kind of problem. The seal will harden in around 24 hours.

It would have been best to use a new O-ring. But if you put enough sealant on that it filled up the all the spaces between the tube and housing it should work OK. Remember the O-ring seats in the housing while the sealant fills up the spacing between parts.

The tube bracket should keep the pipe from backing out of the housing. Once the engine is hot and coolant system presurized check for leaks.

anfurnee 11-10-2008 05:32 PM

What if I put some silicone where the t-stat housing where meets with the engine block and the silicone gets into the cooling system andsome breaks off, will it hurt the cooling effectiveness to the point my engine over heaths? [/align][/align]This is what I did. Iput some silicone onthe t-stat housing to help with leaks and I tightenit to where somesiliconesqueezed out the ends, I didn't over tighten though. I didn't put a whole bunch but at the same time I really don't know if I but too much.I can only assumesome squeezed inside because I can see some silicone around the out side of the t-stat housing. It looks like the end of a gasket. If the silicone getsinside where the engine watercan hit it asthe waterruns through the cooling system. If some break off and is pushed through the cooling system will it hurt the cooling effeteness? [/align]Thanks, Tony.[/align]

toyomoho 11-11-2008 10:50 AM

I think you are over concerned. Folks have been using silicone seal for years as a gasket between the T-stat housing and engine block, plus water pump, valve covers, oil pan, etc. But don't use with gasoline.

If the car has sat without coolant for 24 hours the sealant should be fully cured. This sealant is a variation of the stuff used for bathroom shower stalls, etc. It does not break down and is water proof.

On the remote chance a piece breaks free it will just circulate until it hits the upper radiator where it will most likely be prevented from going any further.

anfurnee 11-11-2008 01:10 PM

Yes your right about me. I always over think things I know little about. I'm always wondering what can go wrong. I am going to put the water and antifreeze in and look for leaks. If no leaks I'm going on the road to see if it is OK. I owe all to you because I was lost when I started this fix. You helped me through and I'm very grateful to you for that. Thank you, Tony[/align]

toyomoho 11-11-2008 03:42 PM

If not done yet, use distilled water only at first. If any leaks distilled water is alot easier to manage then coolant.

If OK, drain the water out and add 100% coolant.

anfurnee 11-21-2008 02:46 PM

The car runs great. The air and heater work. No leaks. [/align]Because of you and your help the next time my car breaks down I have confidence to try and fix it. Thank you very much for your help, Tony[/align]

toyomoho 11-21-2008 06:16 PM

Glad to help!