General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Camry A/C and RPM problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Default 08 Camry A/C and RPM problem.

Hello,

I own a Toyota Camry 2008 GL and it has 87k on it. However recently i have this problem that the cars A/C is not blowing out cold air. It just seems to be blowing out warm air from within the car. However just yesterday the A/C was working fine. What could be the issue?

Another problem is that recently when I have the car in park or neutral mode, the rpm suddenly goes down below the minimum of 600. and sometimes while this happens the car shuts off on its own and there comes a low oil indicator on the meter.

Another problem is that I am seeing the airbag indicator on the odometer.

I maintain the car at the dealership. However I havent gotten these issues checked at the dealership as I want to know what could the possible issues be bfore going over to get them fixed at the dealership. I dont want to be ripped off at the dealership.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

AC issue.

When the AC is not working determine if the AC compressor in the engine compartment is operating. The compressor looks something like the photo below:

CAMRY AC COMPRESSOR on eBay!

It is normal for the compressor pulley to rotate when then engine is running. There is a magnetic clutch inside the pulley that engages to connect the compressor drive shaft to the pulley. When the AC system is working, the clutch turn on link the pulley to the drive shaft so the compressor can rotate. If looking closely at the pulley you should be able to notice if the compressor turning on and off. The engine RPM will also vary slightly when the compressor starts up and stops.

If the compressor is not working could be a intermediate bad relay problem or low Freon. If the compressor is working could be a bad expansion valve or perhaps moisture has somehow gotten into the system via a leak and is freezing up.

Low oil Indicator. Are you sure the car has a low oil indicator or is this the low oil pressure light? If low oil pressure the light will come on when the engine quits.

Not sure on the RPM drop. Engine RPM may be controlled by computer via a small motor on the throttle body and harder to diagnosis. If the RPM drops too low the result can be the engine quits. If it is the motor this is an expensive fix.

The oil light and engine quitting could be the result of an idle problem. Fix this problem and others go away.

Airbag Indicator. Check your owners manual for what the indicator means. The airbag system has more then one indicator light. Some indicators are for driver reference and not related to a problem.

The airbag system does have an indicator illuminates when there is a problem that need repair. If this is on the airbag system is turned off and will not operate in an accident. If this light is on the problem could be many things with a fix ranging from reasonable to expensive.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:41 AM
Default Toyomoho

Thanks alot Toyomoho.

I checked the AC compressor and it was running as soon as I started the engine (even thou when the A/c was turned off :S is this okay??).

However I got it checked at a mechanic who told me the tetrafluroethane gas was very low so he vaccumed the gas compartment and filled it up. After that he showed me a gauge near the left headlight near the engine which had a see through glass. He told me if you can see through the glass and some liquid which means the gas is finished. But if the gas is full, the glass will act like a mirror and you can see a reflection in it. I dunno about that part but the filling of gas worked and my A/C was back to normal.

About the RPM thing, the mechanic told me there is an issue with the computer relay of the car which will be fixed via a computer programme. dunno whatever that means lest I left it for now because I did not understand why would the computer programme change the RPM in the first place if it was working fine before.

I have yet to investigate via my manual to determine the cause behind the Airbag indicator.

Thanks again for the help toyomoho.

Originally Posted by toyomoho
AC issue.

When the AC is not working determine if the AC compressor in the engine compartment is operating. The compressor looks something like the photo below:

CAMRY AC COMPRESSOR on eBay!

It is normal for the compressor pulley to rotate when then engine is running. There is a magnetic clutch inside the pulley that engages to connect the compressor drive shaft to the pulley. When the AC system is working, the clutch turn on link the pulley to the drive shaft so the compressor can rotate. If looking closely at the pulley you should be able to notice if the compressor turning on and off. The engine RPM will also vary slightly when the compressor starts up and stops.

If the compressor is not working could be a intermediate bad relay problem or low Freon. If the compressor is working could be a bad expansion valve or perhaps moisture has somehow gotten into the system via a leak and is freezing up.

Low oil Indicator. Are you sure the car has a low oil indicator or is this the low oil pressure light? If low oil pressure the light will come on when the engine quits.

Not sure on the RPM drop. Engine RPM may be controlled by computer via a small motor on the throttle body and harder to diagnosis. If the RPM drops too low the result can be the engine quits. If it is the motor this is an expensive fix.

The oil light and engine quitting could be the result of an idle problem. Fix this problem and others go away.

Airbag Indicator. Check your owners manual for what the indicator means. The airbag system has more then one indicator light. Some indicators are for driver reference and not related to a problem.

The airbag system does have an indicator illuminates when there is a problem that need repair. If this is on the airbag system is turned off and will not operate in an accident. If this light is on the problem could be many things with a fix ranging from reasonable to expensive.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

The compressor should not run with the AC is not turned on. Remember the pulley will always be rotating, it is the magnetic clutch that connects the pulley to the compressor when the AC system is turned on.

Thanks for posting back with the results.