General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:49 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Keep blowing the cluster gauge fuse when I shift into reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:36 AM
Default Keep blowing the cluster gauge fuse when I shift into reverse.

Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum and need help on fixing my 00 Camry LE. For some odd reason I keep blowing the cluster gauge fuse every time I shift into reverse. If I shift straight into drive without pausing in reverse the fuse doesn’t blow. It only blows when I’m in reverse. I believe I have a short somewhere but I don’t have the wiring diagram. If someone can please provide me with one or tell me where I can start looking? I also pull the ECU code p0500 VSS malfunction. Any idea or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:20 AM
Default RE: Keep blowing the cluster gauge fuse when I shift into reverse.

http://camrystuff.com/
Click on Generation 4. You'll find body electrical and a section further down for diagrams. There's a lot of scrolling, but hey, it's free.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

P0500: Vehicle speed sensor malfunction

The differential of the transmission has a speed sensor that generates electrical pulses based on the RPM of differential gear. These pulses are used to determine cars MPH and for use by the computer.

The code is generated because the computer senses a short or open circuit in the wiring between the sensor and the cars combination meter (instrument panel) or computer. Or there is a problem with the sensor or combination meter.

Given you are blowing the cluster fuse the code and fuse issue may be related.

Start looking for shorts in the back-up light wiring system. When the gear selector is in Reverse the back-up lights go on. Often the wiring in the trunk becomes damaged thus when the power goes to the lights it back feeds into other circuits or is shorted to ground.

A common area is where the wiring in the trunk goes from the car chassis to the trunk lid. Check this area for wire damage.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the help guys it pointed me right to the problem. Last night I tracked most of the wires from the cluster to the VSS and ECM. But I didn't think about the trunk lights. After reading your guys response, I went ahead and check the wiring to the rear light. Turns out that three wires in the trunk were somehow cut which was the cause of the problem. I went ahead and reattach the three wires and now everything works. Thank you for all the help.