General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission issues

Old 11-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Default Transmission issues

I have a 2003 Camry XLE V6. Recently I checked my transmission fluid and noticed it was a dark brown (previous check 6 months prior checked out okay). I took the car into a local shop and they stated the torque converter, clutch plates and solenoids are going bad. The quote they offered me was pretty good to fix it (business contact of a friend) but we're plenty capable of replacing the entire transmission if I can find one.

My question is, does anyone know what model transmission I have and I heard it might also be in a Lexus of similar years. Any information would be helpful, I'd like to look at finding a part out before I commit 2K to fixing the existing one. Any other insights would be appreciated as well as I'm new to Camrys.

Thanks again,

Old 11-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

This link may help.

https://www.camryforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=29931

Typically there is a sticker on the drivers door having the trans model number.

How does the trans shift? This year/model/trans combo was subject to a few service bulletins for shifting problems. In some cases if the problem was left unfixed, the trans would fail.

If the trans shifts OK why not just change ALL the fluid and drive it until it fails. Dark fluid is common on a trans that has never had its fluid changed. Use only the fluid recommended in the owners manual and also stamped on the dipstick.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:56 PM

Joey,
Thanks for the reply. Checking the sticker I have A/TM:-02A/U140E. Not sure where the link you referred me to, appears to just be a link to this thread.

Most of the time the transmission shifts smooth, but sometimes it when the car is cold, it won't shift between 3rd and 4th for the first mile or two. After a few its back to normal. Given that I figured it probably is failing, but I would change the fluid and continue to drive it until I no longer could. In the meantime I was hoping to find a part out.

Doing some searches it looks like the transmission was also in the Lexus RX300 and ES300.

Do you think my best bet still is just to change the fluid and keep driving it while looking for a replacement? I couldn't find any TSBs for that model aside from "Proper identification of the 5 solenoids used" but it seems there have been solenoid problems with other transmissions.

Thanks

Old 11-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, my mistake on the link. Try this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_U_transmission

Your trans is a U140E.

Not up to speed on this trans model. On older trans the overdrive was locked out until the engine coolant was warm. Might be the same here. Might check on how many speeds the trans has, if it is the top gear that only works after a few miles of driving this could be the case.

As to what to do about the trans. If the trans works OK I am a little skeptical about what the local shop stated. Typically when a trans fails, it is something like the torque converter, one solenoid, if the fluid was never changed perhaps the clutch packs get prematurely worn out.

For the complete trans to fail is not typically unless abused or the trans fluid was never changed. If you go to a shop, just have them replace all the fluid, this is typically called a flush. Sometimes flushing using other chemicals to clean the trans, don't have the shop do this as it can cause trans problems.

Again, make sure whoever changes the fluid uses the fluid type specified in the owners manual which should also be stamped on the dipstick. On later model trans, Toyota started changing fluid from a "generic" type fluid to a Toyota brand that is a different fluid. The trans is designed to operate with this Toyota brand fluid. I could be some other oil manufacturer has come up with something compatible but don't know.

Finally, it appears not all U140E trans are the same. The link below lists a different torque converter for various Toyota models using this trans. Might also check if the gear ratios are the same between models.

http://www.gopnh.com/Transmissions.c...ssion=%20U140E

Last edited by toyomoho; 11-06-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:50 AM

Joey,
Thanks again, that was a very informative response. I'm going to go ahead and change the fluid and drive it out while keeping an eye out for part outs if the performance begins to degrade anymore.