General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor oil change and or flush?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 07:24 PM
Default motor oil change and or flush?

I am wanting to change the oil in my 06 camry 4cyl automatic. Can i also flush it. if i can how is it done and is there any DIY videos or pics? Thanks.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

The only thing that I have heard of that is even kind of like this is the Seafoam treatment. The effectiveness of Seafoam also seems to be debated.
I personally feel that doing an oil flush is not necessary under normal circumstances.
I have rebuilt engines before and in those cases, I would run the engine until it got to normal operating temperature and then drain the oil and refill.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:51 PM

The question lies in how well the engine has been maintained for oil. If changes were regular and you never note a concerning consumption issue (as in, every time you changed it prior, 3+ quarts came out, then on the next change you stared getting 1+ quarts drained out), then you probably don't need to worry about the engine oil.

I highly recommend you go to a full synth, and if your mileage is high then choose a high mileage variant. Has some additives to help swell rings and such to prevent excessive consumption. Over time you may get buildups that cause the gaskets/rings to firm up, thus causing more oil to burn up, so you can consider Seafoam or other additives. I have used Kreen by Kano Labs (Engine Cleaners) but have not noticed any mpg increases or significant consumption differences.

As a general maintenance idea, it can't hurt to run those kind of cleaners through both your gas and engine oil to avoid build ups. I make it a practice to run a bottle of Techron in my gas every oil change. I figure I'll put Kreen in my oil and gas probably every 60k - time it with when I change my trans filter and fluid.