Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   need help (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/need-help-4473/)

stumped 09-22-2008 12:23 AM

need help

Hello. I'm new to this site,but am a member of other forums on the internet, found these forums very imformative and very helpful. Now for the problem.... I dont usually work on toyotas but my father has a 98 camary v6 auto with around 66000 miles on it. ck engine light came on and I pulled the code 0171, no 1 bank running lean. and car started to run alittle rough, and has a really strong odor from the exhaust. drove the car down to a .....honda dealer.... that my father knows and he scanned it and said it was the MAf sensor changed it turned the light off and off we went. 20 miles down the road the light came on again. took it home scanned it and pulled the codes 0171, and misfire cyl #5.So I changed all the plugs new wires,even changed the o2 sensor on the bank 1 side. ran great for about 80 miles, the code 0171 again grrrrrrrrrr. any ideas?? when I pulled the plugs off before the change they were all black and sooty.. ty for any help you can give me. I need to get it fixed cause thats the only vehicle my father can get in and out of easy, and hes goes for radiation treatments 4 days a week.... thanks again. figured I try this before taking to the dealer ( ouch ).

i4yue 09-22-2008 12:51 AM

RE: need help

i dont know wat a code 0171 is but there are several simple things it could be
1. loose carbon in ur system somewhere, maybe it is clogged on a valve or something or even some loose carbon could be stuck on the sensor

2. bad air filter could be letting junk into ur engine

stumped 09-22-2008 01:17 AM

air filter looks very good, dont know when it was replaced last but looks almost new.code 0171 book say " system to lean " say possible problems, (heated o2 sensor bank1) malfunction ,MAP or MAF sensor malfunction,ECT sensor malfunction. changed o2 sensor, MAF sensor replaced, ECT sensor will get checked tommorrow. also states possible problem could be obstruction in fuel injector, but if it was injector I wouldnt think it would run good for so long before plugging up ?

toyomoho 09-22-2008 09:19 AM

The code is for the complete engine not just bank 1.

Issues include exhaust system leaks, intake air system leaks, AF sensors Bank 1 & 2, Sensor 1.
Typically Bank 1, Sensor 1 goes bad (replaced), MAF, engine coolant sensor, injectors and fuel system.

MAF sensor (replaced).

Engine coolant temp sensor. This is the sensor for the computer. Should be around 0.15-0.35K ohms at 212F, 140F around 0.6K ohms and around 2.4K ohms at 68F. Green/Black and Brown wires.

Fuel pressure Check engine off and fuel pumped jumped (44-50 PSI). Then engine at idle (same) and after engine is off for 5 minutes (21 PSI). Pressure is checked at the fuel filter exit (filter in engine compartment).

You can jump the pump by applying 12V DC to the pump wiring located under the lower rear seat. Remove the access covers below screwed the frame to acess top of pump cover. Blue/Black wire positive, White/Black negative.

stumped 09-23-2008 06:53 PM

ok now this is getting on my nevess lol. Light came on after about 150 miles again, this time code 1153, along with 0171. its say A/F sensor, could it be I installed a 02 sensor instead of a A/f sensor? How do you tell the difference?... that might explain alot. I thought they used 02 sensors but I guess some years and models have A/F sensors instead. Would the car run with the wrong sensor in it ? car runs great for 150 miles the light comes on and has a very slight miss. Oh well PLEASE let me know what you think thanks

toyomoho 09-23-2008 11:04 PM

P1153: A/F sensor Bank Malfunction Bank #2, Sensor #1. This is the front cylinder head nearest the radiator.

FYI P0171 is a California emissions spec trouble code. It is a code for the complete engine, not a specific sensor or other part. It just means the fuel system is adding more fuel then the computer program states it should when compared to its mapped programming from the factory.

The code means the fuel system is somehow running lean and the computer is adding more fuel to compensate and bring the air/fuel ratio back to where it should be. The engine will not blow up or such but will not pass a smog test (in most states). Your MPG will most likely also drop.

Based on the 2 codes would assume the car is a California emissions built and uses A/F sensors.

Yes, installing a 02 sensor in an engine designed for A/F sensors can cause the trouble light to come on. The computer is expecting an output voltage from an A/F sensor that has a wider range of voltage.

Don't expect the trouble light to instantly come on if a problem occurs. The computer needs to go through 2 check cycles (for these sensors) where the various sensor inputs must meet conditions set by the programming such as a MPH above a certain speed, throttle position, engine coolant temp hot, etc. After 2 cycles if the computer determines there is still a problem the light will come on.

If buying after market A/F sensors suggest either Toyota ($$$) or Denso brand. From time to time some owners have had issues with Bosch, why? tripping the trouble light

Check your other post for details of a possible sticker under the hood providing info on the cars built-to emissions standard.

stumped 09-23-2008 11:19 PM

thanks for the info. Got smart( lol ) and starting using my brain for a change instead just guessing, and found the sensor that I had replaced and got the part number off it, call toyota they were no help, they just said to bring it in so their tech could look at it to see if it was a A/F, or 02 sensor, said I had the part no. but they still want to see it ? all I wanted to know if it was an 02 or a A/F sensor since they look the same , oh well so much for the dealer , that why that usually the last resort. anyways looked up the part number on a auto parts site the said that part was a A/F sensor and dont confuse it with an 02 sensor. So ordered a sensor from local auto parts store will get it in the morning and hopfully that will be the end of this adventure. thanks again for the info.

stumped 09-24-2008 10:57 PM

Well new A/F sensors didnt do any good . and now getting a code 300, 302,304,306 I believe that means all the front cyl correct? and still getting the 0171 code. any Ideas ? I took and old timimg light I had and tried it on all the wires at the coil packs leading to the rear cyls and they all looked like they were missing, the light didnt blink steady it had little misses in the light if that helps. anyways , not giving up yet, gonna sit down and look through the book 1 more time, any Ideas would be deeply appreiated THANKS AGAIN

toyomoho 09-25-2008 03:55 PM

Check your email address linked to this website for a posting that should provide more info then can be listed here.

stumped 09-25-2008 06:23 PM

thanks a million toyomoho , got the email, I'll give it a shot. thank again. I'll keep you posted on what happens