General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New fuel pump and Car Starts Sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Default New fuel pump and Car Starts Sometimes

Hi My name is Garell I am here at Toyota Camry Forums in hope of a solution to my Camry problem.
My 95 camry will start sometime and other time it will not. Starter turns over fast and no start, so I changed the fuel pump (Airtech Brand) and it started and would run good for a while (maybe a weak) then it went back to starting sometimes and not starting sometimes. So I took the pump out exchanged it for another and the car started up every time for a little over a month then back to the start and not start condition again. So I exchanged the pump for a beter brand of pump (bosch) and put that one in and the car started up. I started and stoped the car several times. When I got up the next morning, nothing, it wouldn't start. The next morning it would start.
Please help me solve this problem.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

4 or 6 cylinder engine? This effects the type of fuel system used.

The odds of this many fuel pumps going bad are slim.

Is the no start issue always with a cold engine, what happens when the engine is started when hot? Is there a time period before which the engine will restart and after not start?

When the engine does start, how does it idle and otherwise run? Is the power OK.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:43 PM

Hi Joey,
Thanks for the reply. I have a V6 in my 95 Camry I too came to the conclution that its not the pump. It runs like there is nothing wrong with it when it starts. The power is there, it idles good and all. Problem is I never know when it's going to start. One time it went more than a month and gave no problem. Then one morning it wouldn't start it would turn over with good rotation but was like it had no fuel. Later that morning I went out tried it again and it cranked up and ran like a champ for a day or so then the same thing would happen all over again. So there is no set time priod that I have to wait for it to start. It does not matter if the car is hot or cold. I think the fuel pump is not getting power some how. That is what it seems like to me. Maybe a sensor is going out, you know working sometimes an not working others. I have fighting this since the first of the year.
Thanks again Joey for the reply.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:18 PM

have you check the battery??? I guess the problem is on the battery.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:00 AM

Hi Full House,
I have checked the battery, it is in good working order. There is no problem with spinning the motor over. Just the starting sometimes and not starting sometime problem.
Thanks for the reply full house.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

If you can, next time the engine does not start check for ign spark. Just to eliminate this as a problem.

The IAC valve controls idle speed and a malfunctioning valve can cause hard starting. Might read up on cleaning the IAC valve.

There is an engine coolant temp sensor to tell the computer the coolant temp. If this fails strange things can happen.

If you think it is lack of fuel, try this.

Find a small box inside the engine compartment labeled Diagnostic. Might be mounted on one of the strut towers. Inside the box are electrical terminals. Use a section of wire or paper clip to jump the B+ and FP terminals. This will force the pump to run when the ign switch is turned to ON, bypassing the fuel pump relay circuit.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:16 PM

Hi Joey,
Got up this morning to take my wife to a Doctors app, and the car started up and ran like a champ all the way into Franklin (30 miles). I stopped the car went inside for about an hour. When we came back out it will turn over at a normal speed but not start.
There are no plug wires on my Camry, there are coil packs on top of each cylinder and I'm not sure how to check these for spark. I will try and find out about where and how to clean the IAC valve.
The Diagnostic port has a B+ and the FP but there is no wire or contact point for the FP, it's just an empty whole.
Before my son came picked us up I jiggled every wire I could find under the hood looking for something lose but found nothing.
I am going back to town this evening with my truck and a trailer to get the car. I will check some of the connections again.
Thanks for the info Joey.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

The coil is built into the socket that plugs into the spark plug tube and attaches to the spark plug. Each spark plug has its own coil.

You can unplug the electrical connector, unbolt the unit and pull it out. Remove the spark plug. Reconnect the electrical plug, install the spark plug into coil socket and ground the metal body of the spark plug to chassis. Then crank engine over.

For the fuel pump. You can jump the pump. Pump is located under the rear seat area. Remove the lower rear seat cushion to find an oval access plate behind the drivers seat.

Remove the plate to view the upper part of the tank and fuel pump/fuel tank quantity sender access port.

The fuel pump uses a Blue/Black wire (+ 12V DC) and White/Black (ground).

Take note. There are also wires running to the fuel tank quantity sender. These are Yellow/Red, Yellow/Blue and Brown.

Does the car have any type of theft prevention system?

Old 05-29-2011, 06:51 AM

Hi Joey,
I did clean the IAC valve with carb and choke cleaner, boy was it dirty, but didn't help it to start. Now that I have the car back home I will check out the spark plugs for fire and jump over the fuel pump. The car does not have a theft prevention system.
Thanks Joey.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:28 AM

I tracked the problem down to the Crankshaft Position Sensor. The car has not had this problem again.
Thanks Joey for your help.