General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 Spoiler Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Default 2002 Spoiler Install

I just picked up a '02 LE and want to install an SE spoiler on it.
There are a couple people selling them on Ebay and the feedback ratings are fine but I figured I would ask here if anyone has any 'gotcha's' or success stories installing their own spoiler.
It looks like it would be a pretty stress free install. Couldn't be any harder than the sunroof I put in my '87 Toyota 4x4 fifteen years ago. Now that was scary!

Thanks.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Default RE: 2002 Spoiler Install

I don't see any responses to your post - but am in a similar situation that I think I will post seperate. Did you learn anything about your application?

I have a 93 Camry - picked up an OEM spoiler locally via ebay. Haven't got real clear info from 2 dealerships regarding a mounting kit / instructions. I assumed there should be gaskets, hardware & a wiring splice "harness" to connect to the spoiler pigtail which has a connector on it, to something (third brake light).

They found a hardware kit - which didn't indicate what it included - about $50 (which is about what I spent on the spoiler) - and they can't get it anyway - apparently discontinued. I guess I'm mostly concerned about functionality of the LED's as I can find hardware and sometype of gasket / sealer material for the mounting if nothing specific is available.

I thought about contacting aftermarket groups who sell similar products to see if their mounting kit will work.

Any direction / suggestions from members who have OEM spoilers on their Gen 3 or have mounted OEM / aftermarket?

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2007, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2002 Spoiler Install

The SE spoiler for the gen5 camry? That would involve drilling, gaskets, and wiring. If you dont know how todo it right, get a shop to do it. It'll cost you an arm and a leg but it will be done right and warrantied. If your trunk wasnt premade for the spoiler you may have a very expensive and difficult install. You wouldnt want to have it leak, rust etc.

I bought a spoiler for my gen4, thinking it would be easy, but after removing the carpet covering on my trunk, i discovered the job is too difficult and i was quoted a few hundred for an install because my trunk was not designed to take in a spoiler.