General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 Sensor Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Default O2 Sensor Problem

Well this is a big O2 sensor problem. The one i had one today was acting up so i had to remove it and put in a new one. However in the removing process which was pretty impossible, the ridges of the actual socket where to O2 goes lost grip. This is the front Bank 1 right off the engine near the radiator, for a 98 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder. So the issues is that i can place the new one cuz it wont grap any grip to start with, is the first 2 edges tat are flat or damage. As i said the one it was there on the first place it pretty much burn thru the metal so it heated the ridges to they are not kinda gone. What can i do?

Old 07-23-2009, 11:00 PM

Are you using a 5 point 02 sensor socket to remove the old sensor? Hopefully you are. What you can try doing is running the engine for 1 minute (no longer) just to get the manifold heated- then spray the base of the 02 sensor with penetrating oil. The warm manifold with "thin" out the oil and cause it to rapidly spread into all of the available creases. From there, work the O2 sensor out (with an O2 sensor socket) and continue to spray the threads as they appear. It may even help to run the sensor out as far as you can, spray, then run it back in a few threads, working it back and forth while using a liberal amount of oil. If you damage the threads on the manifold, you can use an O2 sensor tap to cut new threads or clean up the existing ones. When installing the new sensor- tighten only enough to crush the base gasket and no more.

JJ

Old 07-24-2009, 06:32 AM

well the problem wasnt removing it cux i got it done after a long period of time, the problem now is that the manifost, where the O2 will go Bank 1, it lost the threads on the 2 firs spin, meanin the new O2 now cant go in, is just spin, it cant grip, so i need something to rethreat the manifost so i can install the O2, any ideas

Old 07-26-2009, 12:07 AM

They have 02 sensor threat inserts but it won't be worth you buying it for this one application. An exhaust shop should/might be able to weld a new 02 sensor bung for you. Give it a try.

JJ

Old 07-29-2009, 10:17 AM

Joel, thats exactly what i did. I took it to a shop, and for $20 i got it done, but is weird, i place a brand new O2 and yet still i get the same Engine Error, Bank 1 O2 sensor not working properly i dont kno what else to do anymow

Old 07-29-2009, 02:42 PM

The 98 4 cylinder Camry uses an AF ratio sensor upstream of the catalytic converter and an 02 sensor downstream of the catalytic converter. The AF sensor is used for fuel control, the 02 is used to verify catalytic converter operation. These sensors are NOT INTERCHANGEABLE. You'll need to find out which sensor has failed and replace it. If you used an aftermarket sensor in the upstream location- there's a good chance they sold you an 02 sensor and not an AF sensor. Go to the dealership to buy them regardless of which one you need to replace.

JJ