General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil dip stick indictaes overfilled

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 02:07 PM
Default Oil dip stick indictaes overfilled

According to the manual the proper oil capacity with filter is 4.6 quarts, 2013 Camry SE 4 cylinder, however the dip stick indicates it is way overfilled. The oil is 3/4" above the Full mark. So, which is right, manual or dip stick?

Old 05-10-2015, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Did you change the filter? If so did you start the engine to circulate the oil into the new filter, then check the oil level?

The dipstick is the final authority, the manual is for reference.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:58 AM

The oil dipstick indicated overfill by 1/4" even when new from the dealership. After the first oil change it was approximately 1/2" above the Full mark. The oil was just changed alone with filter and it was 3/4" over the Full mark.

I had hoped, at my age, climbing under a car was over. I drained the oil in a very clean container and removed the filter to let it drain as much as possible. Reinstalled the oil filter and used a 16 ounce measuring cup and put in 4 quarts and started putting in a few ounces at a time until it was very close to the Full mark and then top it off to the Full mark.

Anyway, the clowns that changed the oil had overfilled it. Instead of about 4.6 quarts, they had overfilled by about 1 quart. The same place also overfilled it last oil change. So, guess I will have to do this myself for now on.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

A quart. The place may use a metered oil dispenser. Find out what spec they use to determine how much oil to add, then ask them to add 1 quart less and check the dipstick.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:35 AM

All in all, up to a quart extra is not going to cause you any concern. You just want to avoid so much oil that is gets whipped up by the cams. I wouldn't make it a practice to overfill, but the type of oil filter you purchase is going to alter the reading as well. It's all designed around the OEM filter, but every filter is a bit different in capacity; easy to see when you compare something like a Royal Purple filter next to the OEM one. I once put in a RP filter (smaller), and accidentally put in all 5 quarts instead of the prescribed 4.5, so combined with the smaller filter capacity my dipstick read about an inch over full. Just meant I had about half a quart less to add back in before my next OCI.

Doing your own oil change is always preferable in my opinion, especially since places like AutoZone and similar take your old oil for free. Considering I put on 25k or so a year on my car, that means about 5 OCIs in a year, and by doing it myself I save around $30-40 an OCI, so a notable saving.

Old 08-27-2022, 08:53 AM
Default Overfilled

At last oil change I believe 5 quarts was added leading to high oil reading on dip stick. About 1/2 to 3/4 inch above. Maybe 1/2 quart high? Is this concerning or let it be? 2011 Camry 2.5L

Thanks

Old 08-27-2022, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

It appears its 1 quart between the top and bottom mark thus as stated approx 1/2 to 3/4 quart over filled. There is a limit on overfilling an engine before it causes problems which the general consistence is around 1 quart.

Remove the stick immediately after driving to check for oil foam. Too much oil allows it to be whipped by the mechanical devices inside the engine which adds air to the oil and is bad. Like making whipped cream which contains a lot of air.

Old 08-27-2022, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
It appears its 1 quart between the top and bottom mark thus as stated approx 1/2 to 3/4 quart over filled. There is a limit on overfilling an engine before it causes problems which the general consistence is around 1 quart.

Remove the stick immediately after driving to check for oil foam. Too much oil allows it to be whipped by the mechanical devices inside the engine which adds air to the oil and is bad. Like making whipped cream which contains a lot of air.

Thanks for the advice. I checked after a good run and didn’t see foaming or creaminess. I’m a bit **** so I went ahead a drained some from the oil filter cartridge. Still a tad high after taking 3/4 quart out. Won’t be using that shop again.