Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   Pinging / Detonation ?? (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/pinging-detonation-1987/)

Psihigh 07-08-2007 10:51 PM

Pinging / Detonation ??

I'm not having very good luck with the search button,infactI've read through like 20 pagesof threads andno luck.
I have an 02 camery 2.4 with40k on it. When I'm driving light on the gas it sounds like a glass bb party under my hood. I'm guessing summer gas expansion or something. I have always used 93 octane. I have even tried a fuel additive. Still pings. Any thoughts?

pedro 07-09-2007 06:49 AM

RE: Pinging / Detonation ??

Does the car have an EGR? Malfunctioning EGR can cause pinging.

Black95Cam 07-09-2007 10:59 PM

try using a lower octane...

toyoboy 07-10-2007 01:50 AM

i had a customer tell me that her vehicle was ping and it ended up being a rod knock....kind of hard to tell you whats wrong with your car since i can't personly listen to it...but usely ignition ping is during hard accel or heavy load...you should really take it to your local shop and have them diag the problem...but you can check you oil level to make sure its ok...good luck..

RickMN 07-10-2007 04:27 PM

You should not need 93 octane with the 2.4 engine. Devote all that money you're wasting to actually solving the problem. Pedro's advice is right on the money. The EGR valve reduces combustion temperatures to reduce oxides of nitrogen emissions. If the valve malfuctions, combustion temps rise and can cause pinging. However, engine deposits can also cause pinging, as can incorrectly gapped spark plugs. Get this checked out. Prolonged pinging can cause serious engine damage. Using 93 octane is just masking the problem.

Psihigh 07-10-2007 10:36 PM

Thanks everyone, I have set an app. to get this checked out. I will mention the egr. I wonder if that is covered under a warranty? Considering it only has 40k on it. It's an 02, so 5 years old now. I think I read somewhere that it's under warranty for 60k miles. Again, thanks for the help. I'll post again when resolved. Thanks.

toyoboy 07-11-2007 01:12 AM

02 camries have an ecu that monitors egr opperation...

Psihigh 07-11-2007 09:12 AM

ORIGINAL: toyoboy

02 camries have an ecu that monitors egr opperation...
So you're saying that unless it's throwing a cel it's probably not the egr.

I read somewhere in my recent research about a service bulletininvolving a rattle some how related to the intake box and manifold and the sound has many a time been described as pinging. It also said that it has a fix for it.
Does any one have access to service bulletins that could explain this to me perhaps?

02 2.4 40k thanks again