General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help 94 camry LE 4 cyl

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Exclamation Please help 94 camry LE 4 cyl

So my car started to have problems starting. That has been getting worse, a mechanic told me it was the fuel pump. Another said it was the Bleed back valve on the fuel pump, still had to replace the whole pump. I had to wait untill I could get my paycheck to replace it. It's steadily gotten worse and worse, and the night before last, I was at walmart, the car would start, but stall if I took my foot off the gas. Talk about a fun trip home, 8 miles without taking my foot off the gas. Thank god for my left foot, and putting the car in neutral.

Back on topic, the condition has steadily gotten worse at a very fast pace. I got my paycheck, replaced the fuel pump, did not help at all. Replaced the Distributor Cap, the Rotor Plug? Forgot what it's called already....pretty sure it's the rotor plug. I talked to the mechanic and he said that it may be the fuel filter, or the ignition coil. I honestly have no idea.

Full tank of gas, Oil levels are fine.

Think it may be the oil pressure switch?

The car turns over, but doesnt start.

It doesnt click like a bad starter.

I'm sure I've left some valuable information out, please ask me if I did so, to help you guys get a better idea of what the problem is. I have about $110 left to spend to have the car running, if not, then i guess its next paycheck. :'(

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 05-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

The oil pressure switch is NOT connected to the cars starting system and would not cause this problem.

If you give the car some throttle will it start?

When the engine would still run, besides stalling how did it run? Any miss, lack of power, etc. Or was it just the stalling issue?

Remove the dist cap end of the large diameter ign wiring going to the dist cap from the ign coil. Hold it about 1/2 inch from a ground point on the car chassis, crank engine and check for spark.

Find a small plastic box labeled Diagnostic inside the engine compartment. The box is most likely mounted to the passengers strut tower (the location where the upper part of the strut bolts to the chassis.)

Open the box and use a section of electrical wire to connect the FP and B+ terminals inside the box together. The terminal key is under the box lid.

Turn the ign on, the fuel pump inside the gas tank should start to run, if not there is a problem. Try to start the engine.

Idle is controlled by an Air Idle Control valve (IAC). The valve adjust the amount of bypass air that goes around the throttle valve. The valve can start to stick and on rare occassion fail.

A Google search on cleaning the IAC valve for a5S-FE engine should turn up a few hits.

The can fuel filter in the engine compartment seldom plugs up. If it did the issue would show up as lack of power.

The ign coil can crack and cause problems, sometimes becoming worse if the are is moist such as rain.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:43 PM

When the engine does start, it doesnt seem to make a difference if I press on the gas petal or not.

Thank you very much for you help, I'll try that asap. Should post back with more info later tonight.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:51 PM

There seems to be no spark to the spark plugs, we changed the dist cap, and rotor plug because they were extremely corroded. The fuel pump is brand new, and working. For some reason, the car isnt getting very much power to the spark plugs at all, it will start after a very long time of trying to get it to start. All the fuses are good, none blown.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Do you get a good spark when you remove the ign wire from the dist cap and hold it near a chassis ground point? Should be able to get 1/2 inch gap spark.