General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power steering pump?

Old 02-01-2014, 09:18 PM
Default Power steering pump?

Greetings,

2001 Camry, 170,000 miles. Started noticing a little difficulty with the steering over the past several months. Recently it has gotten worse. Basically, it steers fine when driving, but when I am in a parking lot, stopped, or going very slow (like 1) there is a squeal when cranking and the steering is stiff, a bit of a shudder. I flushed out the system and still no improvement. Is it the pump, or are there some other culprits possible?

Regards, Brenden.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

How is your belt? At slower speeds, turning the wheel is very hard on the hydraulics and hence the belt. Did the squeal sound like a belt? Or was it the kind of whine/moan sound like when the fluid is too low? If you're not sure, pop the hood and stand over by the ps pump and have a friend turn the steering wheel a bit.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:49 AM

Hi,

Come to think of it, this started not long after I had the serpentine belt replaced. Is that the same one that runs the pump? It does have that old time "alternator belt squeal" that I used to get with my Dodge Dart when the belt was loose, but only when turning the wheel when I am not driving, like backing out or something.

Regards, Brenden.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator

It sounds like your belt could be the suspect. I'm not too familiar with the 01 Camry's but if this is the recent change, then it could be your problem. If memory serves me correct, the serpentine belt drives your power steering pump. If the belt is squealing then you know you have a belt problem. Do you know the belt part number and manufacture? From some of my research, I have learned that the Camrys can be finicky when it comes to belts. I am not sure if your make has an automatic belt tensioner but if that is faulty then it could be your problem as well. If the power steering pump is bad (bearings worn) it could also have the same result.
I am basing a lot of my assumption on the fact that the serp belt was recently replaced.
Do the test I mentioned before to be sure. I don't want you wasting any unnecessary money.
Keep us posted!

Old 02-03-2014, 04:13 PM

What is the proper tension for the belt? It seems to have more than a quarter inch of play without too much pressure from the finger.

Regards, Brenden.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:56 PM

I checked it after it was warm, and it just doesn't seem like it's all that loose. But maybe I'm wrong? Could the bearing in the pump make a squeal like that?

Regards, Brenden.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

If the bearings are binding then it stops or slows enough that the belt gets dragged around the pulley. Slack the belt off of the ps pump and turn it by hand. The pump pulley should move easily and nice and smooth. Does your car have an automatic belt tensioner?

Old 02-04-2014, 08:18 PM

Not sure about the tensioner. Will give your suggestion a try.

Regards, Brenden.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Keep us posted as I am sure you are not the only one who has had or is having this issue.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:03 PM

I had the same problem with my 1990 Camry. It would start first thing in the morning then the steering became ok. I checked what i thought was everything. Then another camry owner told me to lube the little u-joint on the steering shaft near the rack. (Drivers side near firewall)
Darn it. It was my problem! Some shots of WD-40 and problem solved.
Dont know how long it will last though