General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power window works in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 04:18 PM
Default power window works in reverse

I bought a new window regulator for our 99 camery passenager side rear window. Once installed I found that the window works in reverse (up is down & down is up). I'm not getting much help from the part seller. Is there a simple fix or does this part need to be replaced?

Thanks

Old 02-17-2015, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Swap wire connections for the motor at passengers switch.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Swap wire connections for the motor at passengers switch.
How is this done? The wire harness from the motor to window control plugs together just one way. I did not see a way to switch the wires there.

Is there a way to switch the wires at or inside the control switch; at the motor; or does it require cutting and splicing the wires?

Thank you for the reply

Old 02-18-2015, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

I hope you can leave some negative feedback for the seller. Maybe open a case if it is through eBay. Switch sounds faulty.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Should be able to swap the motor harness wiring electrical pins (they look like flat bladed metal pins) mounted inside the plug.

Each wire has metal pin crimped to it. The pin typically has a built in spring catch.

The pin is inserted into a slot on the from the rear of the plug. During insertion the spring catch is depressed by the narrow height opening in the plug. Once the pin is installed, the opening becomes larger and the spring catch is free to spring up.

The catch prevents the pin from being pulled out again from the back.

The catch can be pushed down with a small bladed tool or rod inserted from the front of the plug. There are special tools for the job but you can make or find something that works.

Then pull out the pin. Once both pins are removed, swap their location.

The internet has posts on wiring harness repair. Search under removing pins from wiring harness on car.

Removing the pins takes some practice but can easily be done.

Mark the wire locations in plug, remove both pins and swap locations.

If for some strange reason the plug and pins are molded as a unit and pin removal is impossible. Cut the wires between the plug and motor and splice them to the opposite wire. Auto and department stores sell connectors for this purpose. Get the right size connector for the wire diameter.

Or send the part back and get a replacement.

Last edited by toyomoho; 02-18-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the detailed info. I watched the youtube posts and examined the pug/pins, which were much smaller then those in the videos. I could not find a way to get them loose. I ended up repairing the old part. The motor worked, the plug/stud that held the track to the motor asembly had worn and pulled out separating the two. I was able to fashion a replacement plug/stud out of bolt, nut, and washers. It works for now and the supplier is refunding my money.

Last edited by 2wonder; 02-19-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Great job. Thanks for posting back with the fix.