General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amazon CV Axles

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 05:25 PM
Default Amazon CV Axles

I would like to get a idea on your take in getting CV axles from Amazon. I see a lot of vendors selling pairs of axles for a steal. Any advice and recommendations are appreciated.

Last edited by GonzoUSN; 12-29-2022 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-30-2022, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

From experience with axles unless getting a part from a Toyota dealer it’s a make your best educated guess on brand name.Amazon is known for selling fake car parts, etc. thus need to consider this. Still it is possible to get the exact same item at Amazon cheaper than elsewhere but sometimes not. Don’t assume Amazon is always the cheapest.

I would avoid at all cost rebuilt axles as had very bad experiences with these! Typically these rebuilt part sales require the old axle to be sent back as a core so look out for this requirement. Look for a product that is stated to be ALL brand new, not rebuilt with a few new parts.

Thought last time I used APWI brand which are still OK after 70K miles. Another car has Carquest axles but not by choice and have gone 50K miles without issues so can’t complain.

I would look at online parts sites such as Rockauto, Summit, etc. and see what they offer. You might find the brand names are the same and limited. Then shop around for price based on brand and part number.

Before taking your car apart inspect the new axle from top to bottom for issues such as boot damage and smooth CV joint movement.

When you get the old axle out compare it to the replacement including for length.

If going to DIY on repairs post back as there are do’s and don’ts for this job. Suggest also getting new transmission axles seals.

Given the front end is now apart now it the time to inspect and replace anything on the front end.