General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Problems by Sympton
Print Wikipost

Radiator leak caused by air purger?

Old 02-11-2014, 03:59 AM
Default Radiator leak caused by air purger?

Hi. I have a 2001 Toyota Camry LE V6 one owner with 54,000 original miles. It had the original radiator (Denso brand) and original radiator coolant (Toyota Red) in it which checked out ok, but I figured after this many years it's time to change it with some new Toyota red. So a friend that has a garage and owes me said he would do it. He drained the original radiator and I showed him the other 2 spots to drain on the block... front and rear. I mixed at about 60 red to 40 distilled water adding a total of about 2.4 gallons (9.2 liters). In the days after this job was done I saw some fluid underneath the car on the garage floor. At first I blew it off as the old fluid still hanging around on the plastic shield under the radiator dripping down. Nope... it was an actual leak and as it got worse I noticed the entire top seam of the radiator was wet. I initially blew it off as a coincidence being that it was the original radiator. So I ordered a brand new Denso radiator ( Denso 221-0502 ) and he did the job again. A few days later the same thing... it appears this new radiator is leaking in the same exact spot... at the top seam. It is very wet there and I started to think about things... He used a tool to suck the air out and suck the new fluid in. One similar to this... http://tinyurl.com/lu45

Do you think this tool is sucking too hard and breaking the seams of TWO radiators? It's the only thing I can think of. I don't know what else would have caused this unless the first radiator went coincidentally and the second one is defective? What are the chances? I am frustrated. Fixing something that wasn't broken to begin with, BUT the coolant was from 2001. I don't know, but I need to get to the bottom of this. Help is GREATLY appreciated!Thank you.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Make sure coolant is not leaking out the radiator cap, upper radiator hose connection to radiator or smaller overflow hose connected to the side of the radiator cap port and moving down the upper seam?

The fluid change tool should not damage the radiator. However if the tool uses a pressured air hose although though unlikely might investigate the possibility of pressured air getting into the coolant system.

There is tool having a hand air pump that attaches to the radiator fill port. The coolant system can then be pressurized and checked for leaks.

Using a hose wash down the radiator of any coolant. Then after a few days, carefully examine the radiator for coolant. Engine cold, feel all areas noted above for coolant. Coolant being water flows down, not up. If coolant is noted above the seam it is coming from some place else.

It is possible for radiators to be bounced around during shipping and cause leaks.

A coolant change tool is handy but not required.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Make sure coolant is not leaking out the radiator cap, upper radiator hose connection to radiator or smaller overflow hose connected to the side of the radiator cap port and moving down the upper seam?

The fluid change tool should not damage the radiator. However if the tool uses a pressured air hose although though unlikely might investigate the possibility of pressured air getting into the coolant system.

There is tool having a hand air pump that attaches to the radiator fill port. The coolant system can then be pressurized and checked for leaks.

Using a hose wash down the radiator of any coolant. Then after a few days, carefully examine the radiator for coolant. Engine cold, feel all areas noted above for coolant. Coolant being water flows down, not up. If coolant is noted above the seam it is coming from some place else.

It is possible for radiators to be bounced around during shipping and cause leaks.

A coolant change tool is handy but not required.

Thank you for the reply! I checked and no leak at the cap. The cap in this motor is not on the radiator itself. It's at the end of the upper hose. I will include a link to an engine like mine so you can see what mine looks like. This... http://tinyurl.com/megl2lc

I am also sure nothing is coming from the overflow tank or it's hose.

I purchased a new upper and lower hose from the Toyota dealer. My friend used screw clamps instead of my Toyota spring band clamps to secure the two hoses. The upper hose could have a tiny leak under pressure possibly letting coolant run across the seam of the radiator making us think the seam is bad perhaps? I looked at the hose though and it doesn't seem that way, but I will warm up the car and look closer. The tool he uses to purge air does run off of a air compressor I believe. It's not a manual tool. Thanks.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

I think your idea of wiping down the wet areas and running the car is a good idea. At least you can return the new radiator as defective? The next one you get, just don't use the compressor tool and rule that out. I doubt it's the issue but play it safe.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Concur with Patonium. Return "defective" radiator for replacement, then manually refill coolant system avoiding this tool and any compressed air.

Can also use a hand pump system to pressurize coolant system and check for leaks.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

I recently changed the water pump on my Camry and I just drained the coolant normally and when the water pump came off, the rest of the coolant came out. When I filled the coolant back up I just filled the radiator and squeezed the the two major hoses to burp the air and add coolant as needed. Once I could not burp any more air out, I started the car and watched the coolant level in the radiator and topped off as necessary.