General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Regulators / Leak

Old 05-14-2019, 03:29 PM
Unhappy Regulators / Leak

Hey guys,

On my '94 LE Camry, I had both Front and one rear regulator go bad on me. I ordered a front set off Amazon for like $60 for both sides. The driver side installed just fine, but the screw retainer was really hard, the one that holds the venter of the door panel on. I can't get any screw into it. The passenger side, was so hard to get the bolts in for the motor, I had to force it. The passenger window came out of the door, and I slid it back in between the rubber lines to keep it on track. I have a feeling it is the regulator, it also squeals at the end of the track, even after cleaning and lubrication. The window also pops up and out a little when it makes contact. I think the regulators are just really poor. It rained hard the other night and even with the windows closed, the passenger door was flooded with water. The electrics still work, but it was like draining a bath tub. Is the because of the regulator?

Also, what screw goes into the center of the door panel, I can't remember? Is it a short black machine screw, like the tweeter, or is it the long cadmium bolt?
I also have that weird taupe/brown interior. I need new switches and door handle trims, and bolt covers, where can I get them? The previous owner damaged all this stuff when he propped up the windows.
What is a good set of affordable window regulators/motors?

Thank-you for your help!

Old 05-15-2019, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Compare the new regulator assy setup and fastener attachment hole diameter to old one.

Suggest removing the opposite side door panel to view a complete installation and what proper window operation looks like.

There will always be some water in the door with rain. This water should drain out the holes in the bottom of the door as the water collects. The holes have a rubber flapper. Make sure holes are clear of debris.

Try Rockauto for new regulator parts.

Try Ebay or auto salvage yard for used switches, regulators, etc.