General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator
Default Water pump gasket?

I am planning on changing the water pump today as well as the serp belt and I have found that some pumps come with a gasket while others do not and require the RTV sealant. From my understanding, the factory used a sealant and not a gasket at all. Any thoughts on this? Use the gasket that comes with the pump and use some sealant? Try to get the pump that has no gasket and use the sealant?
Appreciate any advice.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

The factory used sealant most likely as a cost saver as in (no gasket $), allowing automation to apply it (labor savings), plus part inventory savings, etc, etc, etc.

Either a gasket or sealant will work.

One advantage of a gasket only is no cure time for sealant. If using sealant follow the directions on cure time before adding fluids as it needs to fully cure to seal correctly.

Suggest getting the pump you want as is brand, price and availability. If it comes with a gasket and you have the time to cure the sealant apply a thin layer. If needing to drive ASAP skip the sealant and use just the gasket.

If using sealant make sure you fully clean all contact surfaces of old sealant, grease, oil, coolant and clean the surfaces with solvent. For a sealant to work the surfaces need to be clean and dry.

If the pump uses sealant, use what comes in the box.

If needing to buy it suggest something like below: Auto parts store and department stores with auto section carry it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/UMI-82180?seid=srese2

With sealant the issues are clean surfaces and allowing it to fully cure before fluid contact.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the input as usual! I replaced the pump today and used the gasket and little bit of sealant. I wasn't even sure if the pump was bad but after getting it off the car, the leaking was apparent. So far, no leaks with the new one! There is plenty of snow up here in the northeast and there are no traces of pink in the snow when I move my car. I also replaced the serp belt with a NAPA micro v belt. I've heard mixed reviews on belts regarding the 2AZ-FE engine so I hope this one works well. So far, much quieter. Thanks again for your help, Toyomoho!

Old 01-03-2014, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Great job! Was in the NE area this summer but 75F.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

I sure do miss those days of 75! Lately, it has been 0-3 and today it is supposed to be up close to 40! Come back and visit us! (When it is warmer of course!)