Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   Replace Wiper Motor (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/replace-wiper-motor-18052/)

toyomoho 03-26-2012 07:03 PM

Great post, thanks!

ic3ss 03-27-2012 07:09 PM

A small adjustment needed

Kaddo,

Yea, jb weld isn't much of a conductor and I thought I had it touching metal to metal while it was curing. I checked it after hardening and alas, there was no continuity with my meter. So I took a very short piece of jumper wire and soldered it to the bracket and the other end to the tab that's jb welded on. The wire is small and is out of the way of everything and it provides continuity across the open caused by the epoxy. I just wanted to see if the jb weld might hold it together maybe longer than soldering. We'll see.

Wayne

Kaddo 03-27-2012 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by ic3ss (Post 70714)
Kaddo,

Yea, jb weld isn't much of a conductor and I thought I had it touching metal to metal while it was curing. I checked it after hardening and alas, there was no continuity with my meter. So I took a very short piece of jumper wire and soldered it to the bracket and the other end to the tab that's jb welded on. The wire is small and is out of the way of everything and it provides continuity across the open caused by the epoxy. I just wanted to see if the jb weld might hold it together maybe longer than soldering. We'll see.

Wayne

Yeah, it's what I was afraid of.
Good idea that jumper, though.

Boston Lover 03-28-2012 02:19 PM

My repair method

I don't think conductive epoxy has enough conductivity to work properly. Also, conductive epoxies don't have the strength that non-conductive epoxies have. I did my repair (which lasted about 4 yrs in rainy Massachusetts) by soldering the broken spring contact together with a splint made out of part of a plated hard copper spade lug terminal that I cut down to a simple rectangular shape. The complete repair had the two pieces of the original spring contact butted together end-to-end with the splint overlapping the two pieces and bridging across the butt. Soldering the whole assembly together was a tricky multistep process because I had to use tweezers to hold everything in the proper position while soldering.

Kaddo 03-28-2012 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Boston Lover (Post 70755)
I did my repair (which lasted about 4 yrs in rainy Massachusetts) by soldering the broken spring contact together with a splint made out of part of a plated hard copper spade lug terminal

That was the method I also used, exactly.
Now, a bonus reading about your experience.
It means there is hope for at least 2 more years on the life of my switch.
Thanks for the info!

Baxxter 01-14-2013 02:29 PM

Repairs described above are accurate. Almost every time the Camry wiper motor is the culprit when intermittent and park aren't working correctly. The pics above are the key to solution. Once motor is out, repair only takes a few minutes. Save yourself about $100. I first soldered the broken armature, overlapping the broken metal by a fraction of an inch. Added a little extra solder to fill the void. Then, I carefully coated/caked the repair with JB Epoxy but not enough to interfere with moving parts. I let set for one hour in sunlight to cure. Reassembled and VOILA! Works perfect. Intermittents work & parks correctly. CAUTION - prevent damage - let the motor cycle several times and turn off before attaching the wiper arms. THEN reattach them where you want them to park. Thanks everyone above who posted the solution.

mahag 03-17-2013 02:49 PM

Yay!

Yay! I came here and used this info to fix my wiper motor. It worked! Cost: $0 Time: good portion of a day

ic3ss 03-18-2013 01:55 PM

Still going . . .

Well, it's been a year since i fixed my wipers using JB Weld and a jumper wire and still going strong, even here in rainy Oregon where they really get a workout. I'm really glad to hear from others who are finding and making use of this thread.

Wayne

Lyle L 12-31-2013 10:08 AM

Wipers have only 1 speed

I just replaced my wiper motor... thanks for all the info here. I tested the speeds and everything worked fine until I put it in place and tightened everything up. My problem is now it only works at 1 speed whether I have it a hi or lo speed. The intermittent works also. Anybody got any thoughts to my problem.

toyomoho 12-31-2013 10:17 AM

Year and model of Camry such as CE, LE, XLE?

What symptoms caused the replacement motor to be installed?

Any links/information/part number/vendor on the replacement motor used?