General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rusted Top of Gas Tank Filler Pipe triggers Check Engine Light?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 11:46 PM
Default Rusted Top of Gas Tank Filler Pipe triggers Check Engine Light?

Hello All:
My local mechanic told me while checking out my 2003 Camry with a4 cylinder engine, that the reason my check engine light came on was because the seating surface of the metal gas filler tube was slightly rusted not allowing the gas cap to seat properly. Can I just sand down this surface to solve the problem and if so how can I turn off the check engine light myself? He wants to replace the whole tube.
Thanks, Michael

Old 01-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Default RE: Rusted Top of Gas Tank Filler Pipe triggers Check Engine Light?

I'll be interested to see how this turns out for you. I also have a check engine light on, and thought maybe the rust around the filler neck might be the problem. I stuffed a rag in there to keep stuff from falling into the tank, and went at it with steel wool. I cleaned up the rust some, but there was enough corrosion where the surface isn't as smooth as it should be. Seems all I accomplished with this is to get a news set of codes. I've been debating on putting in a new filler tube just to rule that out completely.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:03 PM

It might work, but it may be easier to just replace it. Even if you clean it well, the cap may be faulty. So when you order a new tube make sure you get a new cap. I had same problem on my toyota pickup. 2 years after i bought it, noticed major rust. Brought to dealer, said it wasn't covered under warranty because bad gas did it. So i called toyota company argued with them that gas doesn't sit at fill pipe ridge, because nozzle bypasses that area so that excuse is absured. If water is leaking from body or POOR workmanship then they are responsible. Guess what?, they actually agreed and told the dealer to change everything except the tank (unless they saw problem with tank).

To clear check engine light. After you correct problem, pull ECM fuse from engine fuse block(with engine off, please) for more than 30 seconds or disconnect battery.

Also, try checking codes. Go to www.turboninjas.com/main/ you could download camry factory service manual. In engine section, there is step by step directions on how to read trouble codes. and what each code means. You may find that the gas cap is not your only problem.

You have to jump the tE1 with E1 terminal in the diagnostic panel in the engine compartment and read the check engine light blink codes. Just read that section. It's easy and chepaer than an OBD reader or a mechanic. Just use a small wire, strip both ends and put them in those 2 terminals.

good luck

Old 01-20-2007, 11:54 PM

get the codes it has set

parts stores will do it for free

your mechanic probably saw a evap leak code was setting your light, and tested the cap for leaks. the cap passed, so its in the tank/ filler neck.tanks rarely go this early, but fillernecks with signs of corrosion on the sealing surfaces do. dont sand anything, the only solution you have is to replace these parts, it is a very very sensitive system that detects the leaks.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:59 PM

I have the same problem. Have taken it in about 6 months ago and they sanded it down. CE light stay off til now. Light has now come on again.
I sanded it myself and had the light turned off last week. Its on again with PO446.
Should I replace the gas cap? Its original.
RY

Old 08-26-2007, 03:49 PM

ORIGINAL: bpodskalny dont sand anything, the only solution you have is to replace these parts, it is a very very sensitive system that detects the leaks.
What he said. From experience it is a waste of time to try and repairrusted gas tanks.