General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Default Shifting problems

I have a 1996 camry that has problems staying in gear. The first time I noticed a problem was when I started her up one morning and shifted her into reverse. I didn't feel her shift into gear. When I gave her gas, she began to move, but only after giving her additional gas. There were no clucking sounds. This would go on for awhile, then she'd start working normal again. This continued on and off for a couple weeks.

Yesterday, however, she got worse. I was going up a hill and I noticed that my rpms were running high and realized that I was no longer in gear, nor could I get her to shift into gear. When I coasted to a stop, turned off the engine, then started her up again, she would begin toshift into gear again. She would drive for awhile but would then slip out of gear again.The only way I could get her toshift into gears again was by turning the engine off first. It got progressively worse as I got closer to home. I found that I would have to turn the engine off about every half mile inorder to get her tostay in gear for a short while

Today, it was even worse. I would go one block, turn off the engine, go another block, turn off the engine, etc...by the time I got to my destination, she would only go about 100 feet at a time before I needed to turn off the engine so that she would shift into gear. I also noticed that if I started the engine without waiting a little, she wouldn't shift into gear.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong with the car?

Old 11-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Shifting problems

Is this an auto or manual trans?

Old 11-05-2008, 11:31 PM

It's an automatic (2.2 liter 4cyl).

Old 11-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

If an automatic most likely you have internal problem such as the torque convertor one way clutch, a clutch pack, brake, etc.

You can try changing all of the fluid and making sure the trans fluid intake screen is clean.

Make sure the shift cable and lever is not moving on the trans.

If all OK, then an internal issue.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:39 PM

Why would turning the engine off allow it to temporarily shift again? Could the shift solenoid or the computer have anything to do with it?

Old 11-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Don't know.

It could be the manual shift valve inside the trans is dirty or has a problem. This selects the initial gear.

Or the torque convertor overdrive clutch, not much you can do here without replacement.

You can try changing all the fluid, make sure the intake screen is clean and fluid level is correct.

Make sure the shift cable is working OK, it can break and that the shift lever is moving. The lever should have a detent system that keeps it from moving once a gear is selected.

The computer does the actually up and down shifting as the car drives. It does not select P, R, N, D, 2, 1 Etc. This is done with the gear selector in the car and manual valve inside the engine.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

This is a really strange problem, and I would say get it to a shop soon. Startingyour car up so many times will cause some other things to fail prematurely. I assume that the shifter itself still feels solid, as in you can feel the different "gates" when you go between PRND12, but you just dont feel the car kick into gear. Automatics do wear out and slip. Why it seems to work OK for a bit after a restart is probably a combination of factors, but it's not easy to simply diagnose without checking it out in real life.

Remember, safety first.