General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Starter issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Default Starter issue

Backround info- 99 Toyota Camry Automatic, 4cyl- 2nd owner (not me but my G/F)

The Story:
About a week ago my g/f started complaining to me about her car not starting- She told me she turned the key and nothing happend- After listening closely I heard the "click" sound of the start trying to go- and after anywhere from 2-20 attempts, it eventually kicked in and started up the car. I just got a quote on a new starter yesturday and was planning on doing it tomorrow night or fri- BUT this morning at work i got a call and she was all frantic telling me she couldnt turn off the car- her explination was that like normal her car wouldnt start right away- after a few trys the starter kicked in and started up the car but it didnt quit trying to fire up the car- so it ran like this and of course sounded horrible, and she tried to stop the car by turning off the key but once she turned it ot the off position the starter was STILL going- eventually it burned up - After take off the morning I rode home and found her on the porch and a nasty burnt smelling camry-

Finally
My question is if anyone has ever heard of this happening- and what are the chances it messed up something else? I am stopping by the parts store to pick up a starter after work, but I wanted to make sure nothing else could have been damaged. Thanks in advanced-

-Mike

Old 06-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Default RE: Starter issue

I also failed to mention, now when I turn the key, I get no lights, bells... nothing? Any ideas?

Old 06-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Default RE: Starter issue

Never mind- Fixed it..