General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticky Idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 05:23 PM
Default Sticky Idle

Hey guys,
My 96 V6 XLE just started have some idling issues. Cold start is no problem, and after a few minutes it idles right down to normal rpm. A few weeks ago drove it up the interstate 40 miles, took the off ramp and had to MASH the brakes to get stopped at the light. Pulled into the first parking lot and kicked it into neutral so I could stop, and the tach went straight to 6000 rpm. Shut it right down. Restarted it, and it idled at 6000 again. Fiddled around for a few minutes near the throttle cable and it settled down to normal idle. Found some landscapers nearby and borrowed a small amount of oil and then proceeded to lubricate the cable and the big wound spring next to it. That got me home. Degreased the throttle body, and have lubed the big spring and cable with both WD 40 and white lithium grease but it only seems to be a temporary fix. After driving it for only 15 mins. today, the idle was stuck on 2000 rpm again. It has no idiot lights showing, has not thrown any codes, is completely stock at 250,110 miles. Is it time for a new throttle cable, or to rebuild the throttle body?
Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-29-2014, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

High and low speed idle is controlled by the IAC valve via computer. Actually throttle is controlled by the throttle plate and gas pedal (but this could be indirectly).

Determine if the very high idle (6000 rpm) is linked to the throttle plate being opening due to ? Or the throttle plate is still at the closed stop.

One other place to check is if the car has cruise control. The throttle cable from the peddle goes to the cruise control box. Another cable then runs to the throttle pulley. Determine if there is problem with the cruise control device causing the throttle pulley to the throttle body to open when is should be closed.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:01 AM

Thanks for your reply Toyomoho! Will check it out and let you know what I find.