General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 05:45 PM
Default Help!!

I have a 1994 Camry 2 door. Car runs good but I have only had it a month. I went to start it this morning and nothing. I noticed that the lights in the dash and my running lights are all flashing along with a red light on the dash that I think is a security light. What do I do??

Old 03-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Nothing as in when the ign key is turned to start nothing happens, or the engine cranks over but does not start?

Might be a switch under dash near steering column. If so turn ign key to On and toggle switch until alarm turns off.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:27 PM

there might be some problem with the bulb, I think the engine is working perfectly.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:06 AM

Everything works such as all the lights and the radio and all other electrical stuff but when you try to start the engine it does not even try to start.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

The car may have an aftermarket alarm. When you purchased the car did you get a remote key pad?

Poke around under the dash and look for a push button, toggle switch or an small box that looks like it is not factory wired (the box may have a push button).

If you find one of the above, turn the ign switch on and press the button or toggle the switch to reset the alarm.

If you find the alarm box take note of the brand name and model. Then do an internet search to find the owners manual.

Have you tried to contact the previous owner about the alarm?

Call around to businesses that install car alarms as they may be able to advise you.

You can start the car by jumping the starter solenoid. The solenoid has the large battery cable running it. There will also be a SMALL diameter wiring going to the solenoid.

When the ign key is turned to start, 12V is applied to the small wire to engage the solenoid. The alarm when activated prevents the 12V from getting to the solenoid.

You can use a section of electrical wire to jump between the large battery cable connection at the solenoid and the small wire connection to engage the starter solenoid and turn the engine over. When doing this have the ign key in the On position. Of course make sure the trans is in Park, Neutral or out of gear and the emergency brake is on.

Once running take the car to a business that installs alarms and ask them to either figure out how the system works or disarm it.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:11 AM

Thanks, found the toggle and car is running again. Very thankful for the help.