Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   Transmission problems (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/transmission-problems-52347/)

blizzerada 06-21-2018 10:57 PM

Transmission problems

I am having some problems with my transmission on my 2000 Toyota Camry CE 2.2L.
this all started when my radiator leaked into my transmission. we replaced the radiator and flushed the transmission. i realized their was a problem when driving the vehicle i lost all power and all warning lights on the dash came on. i couldnt even use the brakes as they seized up. i was able to get it home by turning the vehicle on and off every few minutes.

well now MY car looses the ability to accelerate. as in i can drive for anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minute then I loose all power (i can get the vehicle up to 70 mph no problem during this time). but then i can rev the engine but get no power i even loose power while driving and end up coasting to a stop. I can then turn the vehicle off for about a minute and then get another 5-20 minutes of drive time before loosing power. when i loose power the vehicle refuses to shift into any gear other then park. we have tested its not overheating as it has done this when the fluid lines for the tranny where stone cold. its not the fluid as we have tried 2 different dextros 2 fluids.

anyone have any idea what this could be? i was thinking cylinoid, limp mode (if it has one), a bad sensor (not sure if their is one that would cause this issue), or maybe something i havent even thought of. can anyone help with ideas and a potential fix.

toyomoho 06-22-2018 11:52 AM

Suggest you stop driving the car.

Exactly how did you flush the trans? Did you drop the trans pan to inspect for signs of loose clutch plate material which may have failed due coolant in the oil?

A failing trans is not going to effect the brakes. Speculate the engine may have quit and with this the dash warning lights came on and power brakes stopped working.

Are you stating the engine has power but it's not getting to the wheels? This meaning the trans is not transmitting engine power to the wheels.

Coolant is water plus a chemicals. Neither water or the antifreeze chemicals in the coolant are good for the parts in the trans! They can damage clutch plates and score bearing surfaces beyond repair very quickly.

blizzerada 06-22-2018 07:16 PM

i pulled the transmission lines and filled it as it pumped it out. havent dissasembled anything. and the engine has power but its not get to the wheels. so the transmission isnt transmitting power to the wheels. the brakes issue happened only the first time. so you think it may be a loose clutch plate? and what do you mean score bearing surfaces? what are they?

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 98418)
Suggest you stop driving the car.

Exactly how did you flush the trans? Did you drop the trans pan to inspect for signs of loose clutch plate material which may have failed due coolant in the oil?

A failing trans is not going to effect the brakes. Speculate the engine may have quit and with this the dash warning lights came on and power brakes stopped working.

Are you stating the engine has power but it's not getting to the wheels? This meaning the trans is not transmitting engine power to the wheels.

Coolant is water plus a chemicals. Neither water or the antifreeze chemicals in the coolant are good for the parts in the trans! They can damage clutch plates and score bearing surfaces beyond repair very quickly.

toyomoho 06-22-2018 10:52 PM

Not loose clutch plates. Some plates have a friction material bonded to them. Coolant can effect this material.

The trans oil pump surfaces are lubed by trans oil. Coolant is not a good lube.

blizzerada 06-28-2018 04:49 PM

what troubleshooting methods do you recomend i use to narrow down the problem and how do i do them. i should also add once the transsmission has problems it will no longer shift at all till i turn the vehicle off and on again.