General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:17 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Transmission Temperature on OBDII Port?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 02:12 AM
Default Transmission Temperature on OBDII Port?

I have a 2014.5 Camry SE, 2.5L 4-cyl with 6-speed automatic. I’m told the transmission is type 6AT but I’ve not confirmed that. Anyway, its stock. I would like to monitor the transmission fluid temperature via the OBDII port if possible. I use Torque Pro software on my Android device via a blue tooth connection to the OBDII port but the ECU reports a list of parameters that are available via the OBDII port and transmission temperature is not one of them. Still I hear references indicating that transmission temperature is available via the OBDII port using some Toyota TIS system.
• Is this correct?
• If the OBDII port does not report transmission temperature then how does the TIS system read it?
• If it is possible to read it, can someone tell me what hardware and software I would need to read it?

Thanks much!

Old 06-24-2015, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

The Toyota system can read fluid temp and connects via the OBDII port.

Check info for Toyota TIS Techstream. Something like below:

http://www.amazon.com/Newest-V8-00-0.../dp/B00C9B32J4

Perhaps CF member DIYDad can chime in with his success at using the system to output fluid temp.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:07 PM

Thanks for your reply. I don’t mind spending the $30- for this but I’d also need a laptop to use it.
• Also is there anything the TIS has for a Camry that isn’t found in a usual OBDII scanner that reads all OBDII sensors?
• The Torque Pro software I use claims to read all OBDII sensors the ECU reports. Is it necessary to program a ‘custom pid’ to read the Transmission Fluid Temperature?
• If so, I should be able to do that on the Torque system but I’m not sure how to go about programming a custom PID. Where might I get some information about that?
Any guidance will be greatly appreciated and thanks for the help!

Also Torque software can be found here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...g.prowl.torque
The adapter I use is here:
Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive

Last edited by tweakit; 06-24-2015 at 03:38 PM. Reason: typo correction
Old 06-25-2015, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

The ODBII port is an access port much like an USB port on a computer. Data can be inputted and outputted via the port.

The Torque Pro can read other sensors but it needs to be programmed to do so by the user. The list of factory parameters is just what the manufacturer included in the software package.

Might review the info at the links below:
How to add extended PIDs - TorqueBHP Wiki

How To: Monitor Trans Fluid Temp (and other things) On Your iPhone - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Getting Transmission Fluid Temp using Torque Pro for Android - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

The Torque Pro system custom PID software allows addressing a specific sensor output signal. The user needs to input the address of the signal in hex, then set the parameters of how the signal is modified for display. Such as max high/low temp, scale factor, etc.

The Torque Pro software will find the signal based on the address and output it based on the users criteria.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:38 PM
Default High Transmission Pan Temps??

Thanks for your help toyomoho.
I tried pid 21D9 but this produced 36degF when measured pan temp was 107. I think this is for older Toyotas. I found pids for newer cars, apx 2010+ here: 5th Gen Extended PIDs for Torque App - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum
From that link there is a zip to download with a list of pids for various sensors. The first is transmission Pan temp with address 2182. The second is for converter temp. It uses the same PID address with a different equation. The Pan temp appears to work fine. I used my IR thermometer pointed at the pan and measured values within 3 degrees max of those produced by Torque Pro. The PID for converter temp always returns 0degrees so I’m not so lucky there. I’d like to figure out how to measure converter temp since its likely to be the highest temp for the fluid but it looks like I’ll have some searching to do for that assuming its supported. Do you know if converter temp is supported for the 2014.5 Camry?
For now, here is my biggest concern. I took the car for a 30 minute ride, some freeway and some on off the freeway with stops but not excessive stop and go. In town the Pan Temp reached 194 by the end of the trip. This seems a little hot to me like maybe +20 degrees for the conditions. Outside air was only 75 deg. Also, I imagine the converter temp will be 200+ degF for this ride given the 194 degF pan temp. The car is not modified and I have a hard time believing with these temps that the ATF WS fluid will never need to be changed (according to Toyotas recommendation). I’m wondering if it’s time to put in a fluid cooler for the transmission. On the other hand, these cars are said to be pretty reliable and I would imagine most owners follow Toyota's service recommendations so I’m a little confused. Do you have any thoughts on this? Should I not worry about it and just follow Toyota's service intervals or go ahead and add an ATF cooler and/or change the ATF more often? Look forwards to your thoughts.

Last edited by tweakit; 06-25-2015 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Correct Typo/clarify
Old 06-25-2015, 09:29 PM

Tweakit -

194F is just fine. To begin with, the pan retains heat longer than the fluid and stays hotter, as the fluid is circulating through the radiator lower cooler section. 194F = 90C, which is fine. I would do myself a favor if I were you and go buy a 2 foot section of 3/8 tranny hose from AutoZone or where ever, get an oil pan ready, and unhook the return tranny line from the radiator (this is the line closest to the driver side on the bottom of the radiator), and pop the new section of hose onto the bottom of the radiator. Put that other end in an empty quart container and run the engine for about 8 seconds. You should have over half a quart of fluid drained out into your container, and you can eval the color and such of the fluid. If you did not get any fluid, you have a gummed up system. Then replace that half quart via the dipstick. This is the method to do your own fluid flush.

I see you found some PIDs for your Torque app. I sent you a mail with probably the same link Toyomoho sent (before I read this thread) so if it does not work, just Google search for more PIDs. ScanGuage has code for their tool, so maybe play aruond with those numbers as well.

Dump out the WS fluid. It is dino based, breaks down faster, and it hates heat more. Replace it with Valvoline Maxlife ATF which is full synth. Walmart sells a quart for $4.97, the 5 quart jug for close to $18. You won't find better prices anywhere. Grab an extra quart and flush your power steering fluid as well, replacing the old fluid with the Maxlife. My Camry is silky smooth after this.

I am adding a trans cooler - it shipped today so I will get it by Monday I guess. I will take pics and do a write up on it, so look for that. You can also search my tranny thread at toyotanation. Just look for SFCAMRY there. I think I placed a link to that site on another thread I have on this site.

Oh, and I used my $24 Fotga Techstream to tell me the temp. You can buy that off Amazon or eBay. Best $24 you will every spend for your Toyotas. Period.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:39 AM

Thanks for your comments DIYDad! Just curious as to why you are adding the trans oil cooler. Is it for your Camry? Are your temps higher then what I measured? I’ll look for sure to see your pics and write-up of the mod once you post it!
I added a trans cooler to my ’97 T-Bird about 5 yrs ago. It made a huge difference (you don’t want to know how hot T-brids run!). I just changed the fluid after 49k miles (service interval is 30K) and it looked like it was right out of the Mercon V bottle!
I have to admit I’m thoroughly confused about the whole ‘Genuine Toyota AFT WS’ thing. Toyota states in the user manual that no other transmission fluid should be used other than their very own WS stuff. They also say it’s not necessary to ever change the fluid unless you engage in some form of heavy loading. Yet people often say their WS fluid becomes dark in way less than the life of the car! I don’t understand why Toyota didn’t trade mark their ATF WS fluid. It seems this would have kept other mfg’s from marketing their fluid as WS unless by permission of Toyota. As it is, others claim WS equivalence but I don’t think Toyota agrees with that. I hope I’m not the only one confused about this!
Thanks again for your help!

Old 06-26-2015, 07:25 AM

I just had to swap out my transmission because the Toyota WS fluid absolutely does need changing. I let my fluid go too long without changing it. The fluid did what every oil on Earth does: broke down. It wound up clogging my radiator and the fluid stopped flowing through it. Which meant it was never able to cool, so it accelerated in breaking down. One day driving to work I simply lost all my gears. Had to tow it home. Long story short I put in a tranny from a wrecked Camry. No one understands why Toyota says to never change it, as even the dealers service it (they change the filter, so you wind up swapping out 1/3 the fluid doing that. And they will "flush" it.). Disney made a movie about magic compounds - they called it Flubber. Flubber ain't real, the laws of physics and chemical science trumps all.

Ignore the whole WS thing. Valvoline Maxlife ATF is a superior replacement as it is full synth. It is compatible, and many many Toyo owners use it.

I am putting in a cooler because I think my radiator still has crud in it and the cooler is far cheaper than a new radiator. The coolant part of the radiator is great, just not the ATF part.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:30 AM

Oh, and Tpyota didn't trademark WS because it's not their fluid. Nor is their coolant, which they also say to only use. Someone else makes it for them. And yeah, think about it: if it were magic oil that never needs to be changed then why don't you see everyone screaming to adopt it. Why isn't there Science channel documentaries on the amazing, physics defying WS oil that never breaks down and lasts forever.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

WS is synthetic fluid with a Toyota brand, you can use other brands, but read the manufacturers specs before using to see if it is a replacement.

Many a trans has failed because of using "lifetime" trans fluid and when it did the warranty had long expired. My advice is if you are going to keep the car beyond the warranty is to change this fluid at least at 100K miles, my own preference is half this. Not doubt for synthetic fluid some will state this is too soon but given worn out transmission fluid is the NO 1 cause of transmission failure it is very cheap insurance.

Transmission fluid life decreases as the operating temp increases. For non-synthetic the life is cut in half for every 20F rise in fluid temp. Not sure on synthetic but is doesn't last forever.

Toyota has a color chart they use to determine fluid condition which you may be able to find on the internet.

As to the torque converter fluid output temp. Did you reframe the signal identification and use a modified formula? See link below and 12/20 post from Weiln:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...rque-pids.html

Last edited by toyomoho; 06-26-2015 at 09:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Temperature on OBDII Port?