General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Turns over but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Question Turns over but won't start

99 camry 4 cyl

The radiator cracked and the car was run 2 to 3 minutes without coolant.

Left the car where it was for a couple day. Put some water in and it
took 3 tries to start it then drove it 200 yards to the garage area.

Started and ran it a couple times for a couple minutes. Checked for
murky oil and did a crude compression test. Spark plugs old but seemed ok.
Replaced radiator and the car started right up, drove 200 yards to get the car out of the way. Came back a couple days later to start the car and no luck.

The battery was weak but jumped it and the engine turns over and it seems like it wants to start but can't quite get there. Tried again a few days later and the same story.

I'd like to find out the problem before sinking more money into the car.
I suppose spark plug, wires, cap, and doing a compression test with the actual tool is next but I'm looking for some input before i get back out there.

Thanks

Old 05-20-2012, 09:33 PM

first thing i will do is check for a fuel problem ,it's simple spray TB cleaner or flammable brake cleaner direct into the TB and if engine starts and runs (few sec) ,you have a fuel problem if still doesn't run whit direct fuel . check for spark
second disconnect one coil from any cyl. and get a extra spark plug or a spark tester ground the tip of the spark plug or tester and have somebody to crank it for you ( unless you are mr gadget just kidding ) you should see the spark ark .

Old 06-13-2012, 02:18 PM

I wouldlike to add a new question here. out of the bleu my 1993 camry LE began to die right when trying to get moving. I made several tests at the gas pump (OK) and the ignition spark (ALSO OK). Left a doubt about the FuelInjection Idle Control Valve wich after some time working warms a lot. Could this be the problem, and there is some kind of test to probe it's malfunction.