General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Toyota Camry 4cyl wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 05:27 PM
Default 2005 Toyota Camry 4cyl wont start

Hello,
Hoping I can get some help here. My 2005 4cyl Camry with 98,000 wont crank over. I thought it was the battery so we got one at Walmart, but that was not the problem. I'm trying to repair it myself, but my vision is bad at 75 (no night driving) so trying to have neighbor kid help me. I cannot afford a shop to repair it so here I am. I checked a 5amp fuse under the dash cover (youtube suggestion) and it looks fine, Then checked the 30amp fuse under the fuse cover on right side of engine. Look good. Tried starter bumping with a stick and tapping a hammer, nothing. When I turn the key, nothing and no clicking or trying to start. One youtube video suggested it's a starter relay (blue color) next to all the fuses in engine area. I could not get it out even after pushing the clip back to release it. Fact is I cracked the cover of this relay and hope it's ok.
1: anyone think it's the starter solenoid?
2. anyone think it's the starter itself?
Suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you very much. Jim

Old 01-07-2022, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

What is and is not getting electrical power? Headlights, radio, windows, etc?

Do you have a voltmeter? Find the wire that goes to the starter solenoid from the ign switch. Its the SMALL!! wire to the solenoid. Check for battery voltage at this wires terminal on the solenoid when the ign is turned to start. If no voltage there is an issue with the circuit from ign key to solenoid or a voltage problem. Note the key may be connected to a small relay which then activates power to this small solenoid.

Get a jumper cable or a section of house wire. You hold one end of the wire to the + battery terminal while the helper CAREFULLY momentarily touches the other end to the LARGE electrical cable terminal on the starter. Determine if the motor works. If yes do the same but this time hold it the end of the battery cable that connects to the solenoid. Have someone momentarily turn the ign key to start. If it works here you have problem with the battery cable.

Also check the battery cable ends and connection of the battery cable ground to chassis.

Post back with results.

Old 03-27-2022, 03:30 AM

I’m 61 and have tinkered with cars all my life. Since watching you I now diagnose instead of replacing parts until I get it right. Who said you can’t teach an old dog new tricks!

snaptube vidmate

Last edited by derisolx; 03-27-2022 at 03:41 AM.