General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

VSC & Traction Control Light & Engine Light on. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Default VSC & Traction Control Light & Engine Light on. Why?

This morning I went to drive my 2009 Toyota Camry and my engine light was on, I turned the car off and turned it back on and it was still on. I had to go uptown and nothing seemed to be really wrong. So I put it into Reverse and went to back out and then the VSC and Traction Control light came on. I've turned the car off a few times and turned it back on and all 3 lights have stayed on.
Any ideas on why these are on?

Old 09-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

The engine light is on because the cars computer has detected a fault in the one of the cars systems that it monitors such as engine, emissions, etc. The computer can be accessed via a code reader that attaches to an industry standard type plug connected to the cars wiring. The reader will display a code number(s) that corresponds to a specific problem with a part or system.

Auto repair shops have code readers, some auto parts stores will loan out free to car owners to use themselves.

Once any codes are read out the problem area defined and often pin pointed to specific part.

The cars computer system is programmed to turn off the VSC and Traction system when the check light comes on to reduce the load on the engine. Most likely there is nothing wrong with these systems. Typically when you get the problem fixed that turned the check light on, the other lights will stay off.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:52 AM

Thanks. I had my boyfriend use a Code Reader on it, and I got a few codes come back. He cleared them so hopefully we are good now!
The codes that came back were to do with the EVAP? or something like that. Apparently you shouldn't keep filling up your vehicle after the nozzle clicks because this causes that. That's what we've read.. Here's to hoping!