General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water in floor a lot of water

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 03:51 PM
Default Water in floor a lot of water

The passenegr side floor takes on a lot of water every time it rains hard. You can see it dripping or rather pouring down from the dah right bu the door. Irt runs down over the speaker. I too ka water hos and put water at the base of the windshield in the center where the rubber gasket splits. The water came out in the same place. Now I am told by a glass company that it can't be the glass. I figure the seal around the windo was bad. He says you can't get that much water around a window leak. The car has a sunroof that has been broken forever. I tried to get it to open so I could check the drains but I can't get it open. I just doubt the sunroof as bring hte source. The glass guy says it may be a fresh air intake. Tha sort of made sense. The intake is right where I was putting the hose.
The next trick is that she is in college 3 hours away and can only get here on the weekend. One shop in Tallahassee wanted $200 just to look. They said that did not cover any of the repair.
I am hoping this is a common known problem, even though I don't see much when searching the threads.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

If I were you, I would pop the hood and make sure all the gaskets that the hood seals against are intact and in place. Look for any rips or tears. You didn't mention what year or model of car so I am going to make general suggestions. There is usually a large piece of plastic trim that runs the width of the car just below the windshield. This piece usually has holes in it for the HVAC intake fan and there should be some drainage holes as well for rain water. Check this trim piece for debris to caught in and clogged drainage areas. Remove the trim piece and again check the seals and for any clogs.
Last, if there is no hope of the sunroof working again, seal it up with some silicone or other weather resistant sealer so as to rule it out.
You can also sit inside the car and look under the dash while someone blasts the car with a hose. Might take some time but it is better than spending $200 for someone to look at it.
Keep us posted.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:48 AM

Thanks. That gives me some things to check. There was a piece that broke on the sunroof. Iwould like to have gotten it fixed but we were lucky just to get it back down. It was all hiked up on one side. the other day I got enough courage to try to open it to check the drains and it wouldn't open. I haven't seen an abundance of parts and the whole thing is crazy expensive and appears difficult to put in. The caulk idea is sounding good.
The car is a 2001.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

If you want to fix it on the cheap then a junkyard is your best bet. I would caulk it because I personally never have any luck with sunroofs. Let us know how it all goes.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:13 PM

My daughter came in this afternoon. It is definitely the sunroof. As much as I hate to I am going to caulk it. I don't want to spend all weekend working on it and I'm scared if I push it I wont be able to get it closed again. The tip up and down works but it wont move back.
I also have an outside door handle for the drivers side and a window regulator/ motor. I've done the handle before but I have no idea about this regulator. I'm headed to Utube to see if anybody has a video.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck my friend! Working on the door innards is always tight and you always get your hands cut up from squeezing into all those tight little nooks. I hope you find a video on the tube, I've learned much there myself. I wish I had some advice for you other have beer on stand-by.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:28 PM

I'll tell you what I wish. I wish the Sportster forum was as responsive as this one. I just can't get any answers on there at all. You folks are always right on it. Thanks a lot. Youtube makes that regulator look really easy. I'll report back and let you know.Thanks

Old 02-28-2014, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

Happy to help. Looking forward to hearing how it went.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:32 PM

Caulked the sunroof. Guessing I wont have a problem any more. The door handle was a pain. The one I took out had 3 self tapping screws. The Chineese one I put in had holes for 2 machined screws. After 45 minutes of thinking that I was cross threading the screws I took it back out and saw what happened. Th third screw held the lock at the top. Hopefully the screws I used will be okay. I'm sure I will be changing that cheap plastic door handle again, just like the factory cheap plastic door handle. The window regulator was a piece of cake thanks to Youtube. Ebay $34 bucks and free shipping. Much better that the $134 the local shop wanted for the same part. Thanks to all of you folks. I really like this forum. I have gotten a lot of help here.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you got it squared away. That's weird about the door handle but at least you know how it all goes so the next time (hopefully not soon) it will be easier.
I like ebay as well, I've bought a lot of stuff through there and I seem to always have good luck.
I'm glad you like the forum and I'm happy you got the advice you needed. Thanks for joining us as well, we are happy to have you with us.