General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Water pump bearings.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Question Water pump bearings.

rHi all. I own a 98 4cyl LE with 180k. First let me say this forum has been helpful in my diy adventures.

My water pump went out last weekend and the bearings pretty much fell out the timng cover when I took it off. I put in a new water pump yesterday and now I have no heat and the top radiator hose pops and the overflow tank bubbles and steams all crazy.

Could there be more water pump bearings in there clogging my cooling sytem? I put in a new thermostat and didnt see anymore bearings there but didnt solve the problem. Im gonna start pulling hoses, fishing a magnet and flush with water and install a new radiator cap. Radiator has 1k on it.

Has anyone heard of this? If so, any help or advise is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

The daily driver.

Last edited by 98ledd; 01-05-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: more info.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Exclamation Update:

Ran magnets around every external and internal coolant passage possible and never picked up a thing.

Fresh 5w30 and filter.

Is there a coolant bleeder screw or valve on these cars? Couldnt find one so...topped off coolant, started car, capped radiator, let idle for 5 min or so, shut it off, repeated above steps 3 times.

Happy to say the temp gauge sits right between the L and 2. Heaters working fine and the top radiator hose is flowing well.

One other issue: Noticed a small amount of steam from the new 13 lb. radiator cap. Wondering if this will be a future prob? The radiator is only 6 months old but it seems the steam wouldve been escaping from the overflow reservoir instead??

Maybe a better cap or another radiator soon?

Thanks to all that contribute to this forum!!!!!

The daily driver!

Last edited by 98ledd; 01-05-2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: details..
Old 01-05-2012, 08:53 PM

1. yeah, it was air locked.
2. cool engine, pop radiator cap open, and clean its seat on radiator. any bildup and lime can cause steam leaks.
3. yes, get it fixed. it's trouble to come. keep in mind, some caps have to be tightened twice, they have like a notch in half turn, or something. you have to turn it, then press down and turn again, till it locks.
and that it's "new" does not mean it's not bad.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Most likely air was in the system after refill. Best to squeeze the radiator hoses to burp out as much air as possible or you will experience these issues.

Wash the radiator and overflow tank down with a hose. Then watch for signs of coolant plus keep an eye on the overflow tank level. After a short time it should stabilize. If it keeps dropping there is a problem.

The water pump design and seal should have kept the bearings out of the cooling system.