General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What does this do?

Old 10-31-2009, 09:19 PM
Default What does this do?

I recently bought a 91 Camry LE V6 with 150,000 miles for what I think was a pretty good deal ....$500. Only some minor scratches to the body, so after redoing all four disc brakes and giving it a tune-up myself, I have been driving it for the past two weeks and for the most part was seeing why these cars are legendary for their quality and reliability

This past weekend I had to fix a problem with the cooling system. The heater hose from the Coolant Temperature Sensor

(CTS) developed a small crack and was leaking anti-freeze. Rather than take a chance later on, I replaced all of the heater hoses which was a job in itself. I swear, it's a good thing Toyota's have such a good reputation because they sure are pain to work on when it comes to fixing anything!

Anyhow, I noticed the CTS had, what I'm assuming are, vacuum lines broken on both of the sensors (see attached - B). Although I didn't notice any hissing when the engine is running, I decided to plug the two hoses just to be safe. Keep in mind too, I'm pretty sure they were broken previously but just never noticed it.

Can anyone tell me what exactly the CTS does, and what the significance is of those broken vacuum lines?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails What does this do?-figure1.jpg  

Last edited by gbskunk; 10-31-2009 at 10:20 PM. Reason: test