General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

when to change spark plug question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Thumbs up Definately worth giving this a try

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
oh, the infamous transverse positioned V6, right? and dealer charging $500 for spark plugs install?
guess what, at least, on my wife's transverse 3.0V6, which sounds like same pita to do plugs, I can do them in 45 minutes. just did hers 2nd run, several weeks ago.

all I had to do, was to loosen throttle body and scoot it off a little bit. that gives enough space to have reasonable access behind air intake plenum. one on the pass side needs some actuator removed, then you can get to it.

what they do at dealership is they remove entire air intake plenum, and charge you for time and new gaskets. I sorta had at it twice and gave up, then figured how to do it, and voila - 45 minutes, $480 in my pocket. cussing and scratched hands, of course....
THANKS ukrkoz ... I will give it a shot. And yes, skinned knuckles and scratched fingers are inevitable for this backyard mechanic.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by bbqbyrds
My daughter has an 05 Camry XLE, 37000 miles. ...
should she have the plugs changed? .
'twer me, I'd drive it until starts to miss, or until other engine maintenance is required.
imo, 37K is to soon to 'go bad.' <I don't worry months on spark plugs>

Old 05-14-2012, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by NewToCamry1963
Would it be OK to change the front three first? Then later on, ... change the back three?
no requirement that all plugs be same age
(... or even same brand - OK, hit me)

Old 08-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Default This works Great ... Sort of for me

This method of changing the spark plugs on a '05 Camry XLE 3.0 V6 is definitely better than the $500 my local Toyota dealership wants. With only $50 cash, a few hours in my garage and some scratched and skinned hands, I was able to change the plugs myself. My owner's manual said to use Denzo Iridium or NGK Laser Iridium plugs. I bought the NGKs because my local auto-parts store only had four of the Denzo plugs in-stock.

My one problem was I changed only five of the six plugs. I just couldn't reach in far enough to get the power connector off of the back middle plug coil. Is there a special tool for this power connector? This "backyard mechanic" can use some more advice from seasoned mechanics.

And, I have to say…
Thanks ukrkoz for saving me the $500 my local Toyota dealership charges to change plugs, valve cover gaskets, cleaning the ashtray I don't have, etc.