General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Is the price right for the job?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Default Is the price right for the job?

Hello gentlemen on this INCREDIBLY RAINY morning in Los Angeles,

Before I begin, let me state that the car in question is an 87 Camry, 4 door, automatic, 4 cylinder....

On the way to work this morning, as I going up the freeway onramp, the engine goes DEAD. Coasted to the emergency lane, called a towtruck, and was towed to my "usual" car shop. Left the car there and waited for the phone call, telling me the damage. Mechanic calls 30 minutes later and says that my timing belt broke, and to fix it, the water pump needs to be removed, and the seal rings replaced on it, as well as the timing belt needing to be replaced. He said that the timing belt and water pump share a very close relationship in relation to each other, and to fix one, the other needs to be removed. Said total for parts and labor was $380. That's quite a chunk of change. My question to you all is, does that seem like an "appropriate" amount to charge for that particular job, on that particular car? I'll pay, as long as it doesn't seem like an unusually high price for that kind of job. Any advice will be appreciated, as I told them that I would call them after I got a 2nd opinion on the price they quoted me. They gave me till closing time today to let them know. Any advice from any of you that might be a mechanic, or that knows mechanic prices would be greatly appreciated!