Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

1999 Camry 2.2l Vapor Canister

Old 06-12-2015, 09:37 AM
MSW
Default 1999 Camry 2.2l Vapor Canister

Hello All.

I need to replace the vapor canister and possibly the EGR valve. I was looking at Rock Auto's parts for replacement, and I was wondering if there is a quality difference between the cheap vapor canister and the really expensive one?

Also, for the EGR valve I was thinking AIRTEX, but is there a difference between that one or cheaper alternatives?

Your advise would be much appreciated.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Don't know for sure.

Auto parts makers have off shored a LOT of their manufacturing and the quality can vary from good to bad. This shows up on reviews by part buyers ranging from great to terrible, even for the same part. For some brand names of parts, the name can no longer means anything as quality has diminished over the years.

For the EGR valves at Rockauto the price difference is not that great between brands. Take note there is a manual and automatic valve listed.

For the canister the Airtex is twice the price as the Doorman. Is the quality twice as good and if so is this extra quality WORTH the extra price. One can buy 2 Doorman parts for the cost of an Airtex. My guess is the quality is better but comes at a price.

If I was looking for this part would buy the Standard Motor Products part. Just my opinion.

However, there are other vendors besides Rockauto. If you notice next to the branded name part number can be other numbers such as 7774006093. This is the Toyota part number which the branded part is supposed to replace. You might check for the part at sites like Toyotapartsoverstock.com based on your cars year and model number such as MCV20. This number is stamped on the firewall or on a sticker on the side of the drivers door. Typically Toyota parts are even more expensive then Airtex but might find the part is reasonable priced.

Dorman is a major seller of parts. Part quality can be hit or miss.

Airtex apparently repackages parts (buys other brands and resells them). Some can vendors are known for good products, for other parts the vendor is unknown.

Standard Motor Products T-series part (as is the EGR valve) has gotten mixed reviews on quality.

Suggest an internet search on brand and part number. Amazon sells the Dorman EGR valve and has gotten reasonable reviews. Note, with Rockauto the parts having the red heart next to them are the most popular part sold.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:45 PM
MSW

Thanks for the advise Joey P. I didn't think to look on Amazon! I have a small fortune in Amazon points which put a major dent into the price tag for both of those parts.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Auto parts are now being sold everywhere, pays to shop around.